PackyTacky - My First Proper Game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Sam Storms
Prole

PackyTacky - My First Proper Game

Post by Sam Storms »

I'm not really the kind of person who usually registers on forums; I'm very shy. But, I felt I should introduce myself and thank the community with all the help they've provided me (unknowingly, I guess) with my first "proper" game. Its a very simple game, and I took the idea from sonic2kk's youtube tutorials (Eamonn Rea). I don't know if he's active anymore here.

Well, all you do is go around and eat the little apples that appear at random. There's an enemy character which comes and goes again and again and eats the apples as well. You eat the apple you get one point, but if the enemy eats the apply, you lose one point. Plus, it gets difficult as the player keeps scoring (upto a certain limit, of course).

Its on Windows only right now, because I was lazy and didn't build it for Linux or Mac OSX, but the link given below is the Github repo, so if anyone wants to, they can just build it on their Linux or Mac OSX machine :)

EDIT:The game now has builds for Windows 32 and 64 bits and Mac OSX (thanks to Eamonn). Will be building it for Linux soon.

If anyone gets any cool ideas to improve this very simple game, I encourage you clone the repo, implement it and show us here :) I also hope that because of its simplicity, the game would actually be of use to Love2D beginners for learning purposes.

Critique, comments, praise, anything is welcome. Sorry for the long post.

Link: https://github.com/sammetal92/PackyTacky

Here's the .love:
Attachments
packytacky.love
v2.0
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 170 times
Last edited by Sam Storms on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gestaltist
Prole

Re: PackyTacky - My First Proper Game

Post by gestaltist »

Any chance you could include a .love file in this topic?
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

sonic2kk/eamonn rea comes here sometimes, he isn't interested in lua alot anymore.
Sam Storms
Prole

Post by Sam Storms »

gestaltist wrote:Any chance you could include a .love file in this topic?
Sure thing :) Here it is:
PackyTacky.love
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 292 times
jjmafiae wrote:sonic2kk/eamonn rea comes here sometimes, he isn't interested in lua alot anymore.
Oh, well yeah I thought so too because I see him uploading Python stuff now always.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Really nice. Love the music and fonts. The blue background was awesome! Maybe that's just because I love blue, but anyway.

I prefer Python over Lua, it's true, I just haven't had time to make a LÖVE tutorial. I have so many Python tutorials backlogged, so that's why there's a surplus of Python tutorials. Soon it'll get evened out.

Anyway, loved the game. I'll probably be making a video on it. I will really be keeping a eye on this :)
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Sam Storms
Prole

Post by Sam Storms »

Eamonn wrote:Really nice. Love the music and fonts. The blue background was awesome! Maybe that's just because I love blue, but anyway.

I prefer Python over Lua, it's true, I just haven't had time to make a LÖVE tutorial. I have so many Python tutorials backlogged, so that's why there's a surplus of Python tutorials. Soon it'll get evened out.

Anyway, loved the game. I'll probably be making a video on it. I will really be keeping a eye on this :)
Hi there! Great to meet you :D

If Python it is, I'm now waiting for a Love clone in Python from you :P Thanks for the video on my game and the lessons :) and if you get any ideas any time, just throw them in the code at Github :P I'm still gathering ideas for the next update :)
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Nice idea!
I think apples shouldn't spawn in the same position twice in a row, what do you think?
A temporary speed up item could be interesting as well.
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
Sam Storms
Prole

Post by Sam Storms »

undef wrote:Nice idea!
I think apples shouldn't spawn in the same position twice in a row, what do you think?
A temporary speed up item could be interesting as well.
Very nice idea, I added it to my list for improvements for the next update :)

Ah, bug spotted, I've seen it a few times, but I wasn't able to properly fix it, so I thought instead of fixing it, I'll just change the color of the apple when that happens and it would add more than one point if the player eats it or subtract more than one point if the enemy eats it. So if I can't fix it, I'll probably end up doing that :) Thanks for trying it out. Cheers!
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

Nice!
Sam Storms
Prole

Post by Sam Storms »

bgordebak wrote:Nice!
Thank you :)