FSAL (Full Screen Assistant for LÖVE)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
michyo
Prole

Post by michyo »

The library I have been developing for several years is now ready for practical use, then I introduce it here. :awesome:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fsal/

fsal009.zip
(8.01 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

This provides the ability to easily handle full-screen mode when creating a game, without breaking the game's screen ratio. It also has the functions to easily implement switching between full-screen mode and windowed mode.

Additionally, it allows you to create games that support freely resizable windows without breaking the game's screen ratio.

ezgif-6-963a9bb0cd.gif
ezgif-6-963a9bb0cd.gif (3.97 MiB) Viewed 407 times

I love the full-screen mode because it gives me an immersive experience in games. So I created this because I would love to have many games implement it.

It has already been used by various people over the past few years, and providing stable window operations for their games.

I am about to start the finishing touches on the first stable release version. If you could give me your opinion after using this, I would be happy. ;)
Last edited by michyo on Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dusoft
Party member

Re: FSAL (Full Screen Assistant for LÖVE)

Post by dusoft »

Thanks, I am using https://github.com/Vovkiv/resolution_solution right now, but will check yours.

I understand your lib resizes fullscreen graphics based on the target display resolution, is that correct? (I don't need a window mode)
Last edited by dusoft on Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

dusoft wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:11 pm Thanks, I am using https://github.com/Vovkiv/resolution_solution right now, but will check yours.
Yay!

After some digging around I found this library interesting, it does some things that I don't in my library. For example, it provides some functions to deal with cursor manipulations (my library doesn't provide this functions anymore by design™, but If you need such functionality, it provides functions and data necessary to do so).
So I think this library will be more suitable for someone who don't want to reinvent the wheel™ and already have all necessarily functionality.

And some nitpicks that I have:
1. Probably will be good idea to store library inside local table that user will require into variable as many libraries do instead of storing it in global table (and in general you might look into kikito's library writing manual here: https://web.archive.org/web/20190406163 ... a-modules/)
2. I think it would be good idea to migrate this library from sourceforge to something like GitHub or Gitlab or whatever, so it would be easier to clone, download, open issues, etc (in fact, appears that sourceforge geoblocked me so I was using vpn just to download this library lol)
3. Provide more examples, especially with other graphic related libraries, for example, camera libraries. Turns out, integrating such things might be not as easy as it seems and that's why some users asked me about that, so that's reasons why I created 2 specific examples for gamera and hump_camera https://github.com/Vovkiv/resolution_so ... n/examples

Overall good job!
michyo
Prole

Post by michyo »

dusoft wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:11 pm I understand your lib resizes fullscreen graphics based on the target display resolution, is that correct? (I don't need a window mode)
Yes, that is correct. Perhaps I will say the same thing again, but I am afraid if there is my misunderstanding due to my English skills, so I write the following down.

This library provides automatic scaling based on the target display resolution, then it looks from your program as if it were always a resolution you had determined. So you can always just draw something based on the resolution you decided.
michyo
Prole

Post by michyo »

I am honored to receive a comment from the author of Resolution Solution. And thank you for trying my library so soon.
GVovkiv wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:33 pm 1. Probably will be good idea to store library inside local table that user will require into variable as many libraries do instead of storing it in global table (and in general you might look into kikito's library writing manual here: https://web.archive.org/web/20190406163 ... a-modules/)
Yes, I have been planning this for quite some time. However, it started as a very small & simple library first that I created to make it easy for my students to implement full-screen, and there are already people who are using it in this style.

So I plan to first finish the stable version in this style, and once I have provided them with that which they can use in their current style, then take a major turn to saving to local tables in version 2. I don't know if this is the right timing or not. But I just don't want to give any bother to them using this since alpha state.
GVovkiv wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:33 pm 2. I think it would be good idea to migrate this library from sourceforge to something like GitHub or Gitlab or whatever, so it would be easier to clone, download, open issues, etc (in fact, appears that sourceforge geoblocked me so I was using vpn just to download this library lol)
What a..... sorry to put you through such a bother. I had not thought of it at all as there is no such case in my place. (I've been using SourceForge and GitHub in parallel with the understanding that they are both equally international services.) Thank you for this important knowledge.

Not too much later, I will publish a mirror of this on GitHub as well. In order not to inconvenience others in the meantime, I have attached the current latest version to the first post as well.
GVovkiv wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:33 pm 3. Provide more examples, especially with other graphic related libraries, for example, camera libraries. Turns out, integrating such things might be not as easy as it seems and that's why some users asked me about that, so that's reasons why I created 2 specific examples for gamera and hump_camera https://github.com/Vovkiv/resolution_so ... n/examples
Thank you for sharing your valuable experience. I indeed understood that there's such demands. I will try to add additional features to this library if possible, and provide more information in the future.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

I had not thought of it at all as there is no such case in my place. (I've been using SourceForge and GitHub in parallel with the understanding that they are both equally international services.)
Yeah, sadly official Gitlab instance and sourceforge more inclined to geoblock countries for various reasons, unlike GitHub which usually don't do that.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

michyo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:54 am
dusoft wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:11 pm I understand your lib resizes fullscreen graphics based on the target display resolution, is that correct? (I don't need a window mode)
Yes, that is correct. Perhaps I will say the same thing again, but I am afraid if there is my misunderstanding due to my English skills, so I write the following down.

This library provides automatic scaling based on the target display resolution, then it looks from your program as if it were always a resolution you had determined. So you can always just draw something based on the resolution you decided.
Great, I will test it, thanks.