I created and published my first game! Loaded (PS1, 1995) clone

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
sedexdev
Prole

I created and published my first game! Loaded (PS1, 1995) clone

Post by sedexdev »

Hi all

First off I'd like to say thanks to the LOVE community as these forums are awesome, I spent some time in here while building my first game project and the members provide huge amounts of valuable info, so cheers for that!

So I have published my first ever game on Itch (OMG) - https://sedexdev.itch.io/l0ad3d-2d - and would love to get some opinions on whether it has any redeeming qualities. I have built a simple clone of an old PS1 classic called 'Loaded', which was a favourite growing up.

I have a link in the Itch page to the project repo on GitHub so if anyone had the inclination to drop a few comments on the code that would be very much appreciated. I've tried to use some common practices like different systems for different game components, events, and software patterns so hopefully the architecture is at least half decent.

Other than that I just hope someone gets some fun out of it, I've played it loads and find it quite satisfying so even if you get 30mins of enjoyment and never touch it again I'll be happy with that.

Thanks to anyone who chips in and have a great day!

UPDATE: v1.1.3 just upload to Itch!

Thanks for you suggestions. I have updated the game with some bug fixes and a minimap so you can easily find your way around!

Also I've attached a love archive of the game as mentioned by @BurrickSlayer :)
Attachments
l0ad3d.love
(14.27 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by sedexdev on Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marclurr
Party member

Re: I created my first game!

Post by marclurr »

That's really fun. I only stopped playing because I couldn't figure out where I had been vs where I hadn't been, the level is really big! It would be nice if there was some feedback for when your bullets hit an enemy and I did notice if you walk into the wall where there's a door the collision glitches your position a bit (though you don't get stuck anywhere that I noticed), other than that it's very nicely done. Well done on your first release! :)
sedexdev
Prole

Re: I created my first game!

Post by sedexdev »

Hi @marclurr that's great feedback, I really appreciate the comments and that am happy you found it fun. Those points are very valid and I'll look into adding some more contact feedback (the turrets make quite a nice metal 'ting' sound when hit so something similar for other enemies and the boss). Thanks for raising the door correction, I'll put out an update for it :)
BurrickSlayer
Prole

Re: I created and published my first game! Loaded (PS1, 1995) clone

Post by BurrickSlayer »

Nice game! :)

I've never played Loaded, so I can't make any comparisons. But I wrote down some notes while I was playing your game (in no particular order):
  • I really like that this is a "complete" game: There is a menu, a highscore list, a pause screen, a working gameplay loop and so on.
  • The muzzle flashes are really large. I think I would make them a good deal smaller.
  • The bullet impact effects on the wall have an unexpected offset. And it seems to me that not only those effects are offset, but the fired projectiles as well? At any rate I had problems hitting the turrets, even though I was standing right in front of them.
  • I found it difficult to find my way around the level, because all the areas look the same. Perhaps there could be different "area themes" with distinctive floor and/or wall textures to make taking them apart easier? Or there could be some kind of minimap. I think it would be pretty straightforward to generate a minimap from the level data automatically, but I don't know if this feature would still be faithful to the original game.
  • The code is well structured! Probably I could check out the repository and extend the game right away, which is a good sign. There are some duplicated comments, e.g. the EnemySystem initializer has the same comment as the one from the DoorSystem ("Creates a store for the doors in the system, tracks locked doors ...").
  • Last but not least: Providing a .love file of your project is always well appreciated on these forums. It's an easy way of distributing your game for testing purposes and works on all supported desktop platforms.
That's all for now. Well done!
sedexdev
Prole

Post by sedexdev »

Yo @BurrickSlayer! Many thanks mate those comments are great, I massively appreciate the feedback and am really happy you like it. I'll defo troubleshoot and improve those quirks/bugs you've mentioned and once complete will chuck a .love archive in the chat as well as update the Itch page with the new binaries :) have a great Xmas and all the best to you, thanks again!
Atom Soul
Prole

Post by Atom Soul »

Hey I was just playing Project Zomboid with a friend. The controller scheme got me thinking about Geometry Wars and then Loaded on the PS1 HAHA
Because brains..
Anyway I searched and would you guess i find this post. Had to create an account to chime in!
I'd love to try your game and provide feedback.
There's an itch that isn't being scratched on the game rapport.
If you could create a love child of Loaded and Diablo 2 (loot), with pixelated sketch art style (using drawn-over prerenders.. I'm thinking 16 directions minimum.. 32 ideal)
Encorporate procedural generation loaded with community art. (taking a leaf from rainworld with ai structure) producing diverse enemy models for each type.
Specific damage locality, debuff +dismemberment for you and enemies (arms legs equipment & headshots) and crits all without numbers popping up!
A weight system affecting movement. Make inventory critical.
Extensive multiplayer aspects (moving territory boundaries with classes and sects) "government intervention" aka Judge Dredd & Co for griefing. Even better if they were mods with Hyper Buffs.
Loot can be of a cyberpunk body mod theme but needs "installing" additional to armor, tech and weapons.
Make gun parts modular with separate characteristics and traits for each with a pro/con system. Melee items too, with respective traits.
Having splurged my thoughts I'd love to know what you make of all of that and would love to help in any way I can.