adventure game - puzzle psychology? - search for books

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
gcmartijn
Party member

adventure game - puzzle psychology? - search for books

Post by gcmartijn »

Translation ChatGTP

H!

I've been working on creating a point-and-click adventure game for a few years now. It's in the style of "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders." The main characters are myself, my girlfriend, and my daughter ;). For the first 3 years, I explored what I could achieve technically in Lua/Love2D, and now I've reached a point where I'm ready to complete the story. I already have the main storyline. However, I've been reading some books on how to create a story, but I'm still looking for additional information on coming up with fun puzzles and understanding what children aged 12 and above can comprehend. So, connecting the story with puzzles.

TL;DR
I'm searching for a book about the psychology of why people do/do not understand puzzles. This might sound a bit vague; let me try to explain through an example.
In the game "Zak McKracken" you can walk along a street and see a few houses. You notice a bakery with a closed door. You can only proceed when you ring the doorbell 3 times. The first time you ring, the window opens, and the baker tells you not to ring the bell, then closes the window. Then, you ring the bell 2 more times, and the baker throws a baguette out of the window, which you'll need later in the game.

Here, three things are evident:

- Everyone will ring the doorbell (curiosity?)
- Everyone will ring the doorbell 2 more times (the baker said not to, so is it teasing? Curiosity?)
-A reward for the action (the baker throwing the baguette)
Are there any books written about why this happens? To create safer puzzles that everyone understands and finds enjoyable, etc. I don't want it to become too complex, nor too simple.

Additionally, I might be looking for a book (again, vaguely described) that outlines all the clear 'elements' that everyone from the age of 12 can understand. Examples could include a stop sign, traffic light, a king, or some well-known fairy tales. Perhaps it's better to say, references that everyone comprehends.
dusoft
Party member

Re: adventure game - puzzle psychology? - search for books

Post by dusoft »

You can read over Chris Crawford's library on storytelling and game design:
https://www.erasmatazz.com/library/index.html
gcmartijn
Party member

Post by gcmartijn »

Thanks!

I did read the following books:
- creating character arcs
- video game storytelling
- slay the Dragon: Writing...
- Aristoteles poetica
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

You might also want to study some usability (UX) in relation to UI. Nielsen Norman Group offers lots of guides and study material, e.g.:
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/imager ... al-design/

Even if more related to the web design and web usability, there are many universal notions and abstracted concepts.