The Brand new Löve2d Distributor

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
dizante
Prole

The Brand new Löve2d Distributor

Post by dizante »

Last edited by dizante on Tue May 17, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: The Brand new Löve2d Distributor

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Neat!
Nice design (website), BTW.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Buuu... Buuuuu... Windows only, and about the rest of us? Buuuu!
Roland_Yonaba wrote: Neat!
Nice design (website), BTW.
It's probably a template from www.weebly.com . Get one (for free!) ;)
secretweaponbicycle
Prole

Post by secretweaponbicycle »

Hello, this is an interesting piece of software. A few notes:

1) It's called LÖVE. The website is love2d.

2) If I can't see the source, and especially when it comes from a fancy website, I get worried. Let's do some backtracking:

From a whois search, I see that this site is registered on godaddy to this e-mail: [email protected]

Which in a google search, shows up on a page titled OwnedCore - World of Warcraft Exploits, Hacks, Bots and Guides RSS Feed. This is not comforting that I find this user on a exploit/hack site.

Next, I have no real idea what the software is doing. And it's encrypted...:

Code: Select all

[ld]$ mv Love2dDistributor.exe Love2dDistributor.zip
[ld]$ unzip Love2dDistributor.zip 
Archive:  Love2dDistributor.zip
warning [Love2dDistributor.zip]:  484057 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
  (attempting to process anyway)
[Love2dDistributor.zip] AutoPlay/Audio/Click1.ogg password: 
   skipping: AutoPlay/Audio/Click1.ogg  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Audio/High1.ogg  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/autorun.cdd    incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Docs/deldir.bat  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Docs/DevIL.dll  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Docs/distri.bat  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Docs/game.ico  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Docs/love.exe  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Docs/love.ico  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Docs/OpenAL32.dll  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Docs/SDL.dll   incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Icons/button_heart_pink.ico  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Images/bg_1.png  incorrect password
   skipping: AutoPlay/Plugins/WINBUTTON/WINBUTTON.APO  incorrect password
   skipping: autorun.exe             incorrect password
   skipping: button_heart_pink.ico   incorrect password
   skipping: lua5.1.dll              incorrect password
   skipping: lua51.dll               incorrect password
I know that the key should probably be somewhere in the exe, but I can't be bothered to figure it out. There's too much to dig though.

To be honest, we see a lot of these, but if you're really a genuine developer, I would appreciate if you would tell us more about this! At the moment, it looks rather sketchy.

Note, this is my anonymous account. Admins may be able to figure out who I am, but I prefer if they didn't tell anyone where it is logged.
dizante
Prole

Post by dizante »

Last edited by dizante on Tue May 17, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
secretweaponbicycle
Prole

Post by secretweaponbicycle »

dizante wrote:Dear user that try to harm someone's status and creation. I am an indie developer, this software is the 4th version of the old love2d compiler I released some months ago. More than 1000 users tried it and left good comments. Owned core was the past mmowned.com website which contains some pretty custom skins and models we all wow fans used for the wow mmorpg. The website is registered the normal way and not private Beacuse I don't have something to hide, secondly the Whois scan is the registration info I used on my account Years ago. The software is encrypted Beacuse it contains the love engine files in order to proceed the distribution and extract the files. If you need anything else ask me personally through the website.

P.s if the users were harmed by my creations I would be already banned since they downloaded 3 different versions of my distributor. :x also I aim in simplicity of software and not complex so some people like you theoretically think that a more complex is safer.
Dizante, so many points I'd like to respond to, but first I would like to apologize, regardless of being anonymous. I didn't realize this would upset you so much, I was just looking for more details.

Here's my response;
  1. Firstly, I want to say I was not attacking you, but merely showing concern.
  2. The reason why I show skepticism is because the internet is a bad place, and if 4chan has taught me anything, it's not to trust anything on the internet. Regardless if it's the fourth iteration.
  3. You say you're an indie developer, and that's awesome, but how was I supposed to know? I didn't see any previous works on the forums, just the "love2d compilers". Your website in your bio is down, and your current website has no works.
  4. In reference to your ownedcore account; I never assumed you were doing anything wrong, it's just a question of being associated with an "exploit" site. Regardless, perhaps you could show us some of your work, instead of assuming I am accusing you as a partaker.
  5. As for the whois registration, that's good that you feel that way. It says something to your credibility as a software developer.
  6. As for
    The software is encrypted Beacuse it contains the love engine files in order to proceed the distribution and extract the files.
    , could you please explain this more, as I do not understand. I create standalones all the time, and don't need encryption.
  7. As for your comment on simplicity, you misread me entirely. Simplicity is key to software development. I never said complex is safer, I said open and honest is safer.
dizante
Prole

Post by dizante »