ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
duaner
Prole

Re: ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by duaner »

ivan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:27 amFor all we know the original code may be copyrighted so it is not right to use it unless you are 100% sure.
That's not the way modern legal systems work. Copyright law requires the copyright holder to prove that someone violated their rights, even if a large language model was involved. Assuming someone's guilt violates the most basic principles of our legal codes. Can you show that this source code violated a specific copyright? If not, you have no legal complaint.

Anyway, condemning LLMs is pointless. All someone has to do is to claim they didn't use one. There's no way to reliably spot artificially generated text, even in theory.
ivan
Party member

Re: ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by ivan »

I have worked for a copyright/trademark agency so I do understand the basics of intellectual property rights. The point here is not "who can make the most cunning AI that can violate IP rights without getting caught".
ChatGPT may be good at "transforming" (or plagiarizing) existing creative works, but it does not provide sources and its claims hold little value. How do we know if its "training data" was obtained legally? We do not know if it was, because ChatGPT does not provide sources for its claims.
The technology is interesting, but OpenAI has sold out and is not moving the project in a good direction. OpenAI has enough funding to address these obvious shortcomings, but the company does not care (they are in it for the money).
duaner
Prole

Post by duaner »

ivan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:31 amChatGPT may be good at "transforming" (or plagiarizing) existing creative works
As you pointed out earlier, chatgpt is a tool, so it cannot plagierize. I don't mean to split hairs, but that sort of statement is what gives people the wrong idea about what AI is and what it can do. Also, it's still perfectly legal to summarize or restate, whether you use a computer or not.
ivan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:31 amHow do we know if its "training data" was obtained legally? We do not know if it was, because ChatGPT does not provide sources for its claims.
That doesn't matter. The burden of proof is on anyone who claims that openai or any chatgpt user broke the law. The latter don't have to prove that they're innocent.

As far as I know, no one has passed any laws specifically referring to large language models, so we're still dealing with the same copyright law I grew up with, which means that someone using chatgpt has the same rights as someone not using it. It's irrelevant. You still have to prove that a specific work violates a specific copyright, and considering how LLMs work, that's usually going to be impossible, unless you get a really friendly judge.

Of course new laws get passed every day, and someone could make using LLMs illegal or severely limit them. I think that would be foolish, and that country would be crippling themselves by doing so, but I'm sure a lot of people disagree.

Regardless, I can't imagine anyone being able to make a successful claim against the original poster's code. Unless someone can prove it's *very* similar to theirs, Giovifav or glitchapp can publish their results under any license.

As a wise man once said, never confuse morality with the law. :)

P.S. I would also argue that it's perfectly moral to publish works created by LLM, and I'm quite willing to discuss it if you like, but don't expect me to convince you if you're deeply against it.
Last edited by duaner on Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

It seems you're being intentionally obtuse and ignoring the reality of what's going on with ChatGPT (and similar services) because following its data sourcing and implementation to the conclusion of how its done only has one truth to it...

In any case, speaking of morality, LÖVE as a project and community is pretty strongly tied to having creators do what they will with what they create. This includes the right to choose how something you create is used, copied, etc. This is the opposite moral stance of ChatGPT's authors. If people want to align themselves further with ChatGPT and friends, feel free to do it elsewhere instead of in this community.
duaner
Prole

Post by duaner »

slime wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:33 pmIn any case, speaking of morality, LÖVE as a project and community is pretty strongly tied to having creators do what they will with what they create. This includes the right to choose how something you create is used, copied, etc. This is the opposite moral stance of ChatGPT's authors. If people want to align themselves further with ChatGPT and friends, feel free to do it elsewhere instead of in this community.
I can't tell with any certainty whether you're referring to me, but if I've broken some forum guideline, then I apologize. Perhaps you could point out the specific guideline in question so that I won't do it again?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I was referring to you. I was telling you to take it to a different community if you want to continue.

The currently written guidelines on the forum are much older than services like these (as you can see from the dates) so there isn't anything specific about them there, but #10 covers it regardless. I hope you're not trying to rules-lawyer. :)
duaner
Prole

Post by duaner »

slime wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:48 pm I was referring to you. I was telling you to take it to a different community if you want to continue.

The currently written guidelines on the forum are much older than services like these (as you can see from the dates) so there isn't anything specific about them there, but #10 covers it regardless. I hope you're not trying to rules-lawyer. :)
Understood, ma'am. I will not post on this subject again.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

duaner wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:25 pm That doesn't matter. The burden of proof is on anyone who claims that openai or any chatgpt user broke the law. The latter don't have to prove that they're innocent.
OpenAI have become too rich so there will be little effect even if they get sued. They need to be regulated on a government level.
Unless someone can prove it's *very* similar to theirs, Giovifav or glitchapp can publish their results under any license.
This is where we disagree. In order to reuse source code (including the code produced by ChatGPT) you need an appropriate license.

Support the good guys and use source code from a legit source.
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

You are right, don't forget to add the wished license to your promt:
Screenshot 2023-07-30 114616.png
Screenshot 2023-07-30 114616.png (32.93 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Screenshot 2023-07-30 114909.png
Screenshot 2023-07-30 114909.png (32.38 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
glitchapp
Party member

Post by glitchapp »

darkfrei wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:47 am You are right, don't forget to add the wished license to your promt:

Screenshot 2023-07-30 114616.png

Screenshot 2023-07-30 114909.png
:ultrahappy: perfect solution!

here another possible example:
1.jpg
1.jpg (254.05 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (359.05 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
Last edited by glitchapp on Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.