Are there any Love2D alternatives?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
notcl4y
Citizen

Are there any Love2D alternatives?

Post by notcl4y »

I like Love2D - its old icons, its syntax (But I'd like the PascalCase and libGDX/XNA syntax :P), its ability to run unique .love files (Which kinda makes Love2D like Flash Player and Java), its ability to drag and drop folder to run the project, are there any other game frameworks that's like Love2D but with PascalCase libGDX/XNA syntax and other features Love2D has got?

Thanks!

Code: Select all

loves_lua = "not so",
wants_to = true
MrFariator
Party member

Re: Are there any Love2D alternatives?

Post by MrFariator »

If you like libGDX, XNA, and PascalCase, then perhaps take a look at C# frameworks or engines. Here's a quick list provided by a google search. I hear Unity is a popular one.

Also for what it is worth, PascalCase is more of a convention, and not strictly enforced by any language. Due to lua's monkey-patchability, you could rewrite the love module to use PascalCase instead of lowerCamelCase.
arfur9
Prole

Post by arfur9 »

Godot is very solid these days, plus its very easy to make a custom editor, RPG In A Box is a great example of what can be done expanding on Godot. If I remember right someone has done a lua extension along with the other 3? coding options

I'm typically use engines but Love2D is a great framework and I'm enjoying using it, I never got anywhere with xna lol
C# 3D engines Stride or NeoAxis are interesting. Gdevelop is kinda fun, Visionaire a decent engine and extends with lua (my go to)
I'd really like to get into the reincarnation of the Blender game engine; UPBGE but I'm easily distracted
notcl4y
Citizen

Post by notcl4y »

MrFariator wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:54 pm If you like libGDX, XNA, and PascalCase, then perhaps take a look at C# frameworks or engines. Here's a quick list provided by a google search. I hear Unity is a popular one.

Also for what it is worth, PascalCase is more of a convention, and not strictly enforced by any language. Due to lua's monkey-patchability, you could rewrite the love module to use PascalCase instead of lowerCamelCase.
Unity is a game engine, not game framework.
MrFariator wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:54 pm Also for what it is worth, PascalCase is more of a convention, and not strictly enforced by any language. Due to lua's monkey-patchability, you could rewrite the love module to use PascalCase instead of lowerCamelCase.
I'm making that library by the way :P But I get a "userdata value" error.

loves_lua = "not so",
wants_to = true
notcl4y
Citizen

Post by notcl4y »

arfur9 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:07 am Godot is very solid these days, plus its very easy to make a custom editor, RPG In A Box is a great example of what can be done expanding on Godot. If I remember right someone has done a lua extension along with the other 3? coding options

I'm typically use engines but Love2D is a great framework and I'm enjoying using it, I never got anywhere with xna lol
C# 3D engines Stride or NeoAxis are interesting. Gdevelop is kinda fun, Visionaire a decent engine and extends with lua (my go to)
I'd really like to get into the reincarnation of the Blender game engine; UPBGE but I'm easily distracted
Godot is a game engine, not game framework

loves_lua = "not so",
wants_to = true
MrFariator
Party member

Post by MrFariator »

notcl4y wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:49 am
MrFariator wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:54 pm If you like libGDX, XNA, and PascalCase, then perhaps take a look at C# frameworks or engines.
Unity is a game engine, not game framework.
I did specify "or engines", after all.
notcl4y wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:49 am I'm making that library by the way :P But I get a "userdata value" error.
Guess you could share your code if you want any help with resolving those.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

notcl4y wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:49 am I'm making that library by the way :P But I get a "userdata value" error.
Maybe you don't know about the registry?

debug.getregistry() gives you a table with all the Löve objects that you can monkeypatch.

do
  local Image = debug.getregistry().Image
  Image.GetWidth = Image.getWidth
  Image.GetHeight = Image.getHeight
  Image.GetDimensions = Image.getDimensions
  Image.getWidth = nil
  Image.getHeight = nil
  Image.getDimensions = nil
end

local img = love.graphics.newImage('image.png')
print(img:GetWidth(), img:GetHeight())
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Kivy...ermm....Python...
Not that good though...and it also has snake_case (?) I think.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

pygame - www.pygame.org

Not to forget several "fantasy consoles" that mimic a fictional 80's 8bit console.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_v ... me_console
They are intentionally limited to low resolution etc for a retro feeling but are quite popular. Some use Lua, some can export to web.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

It's not exactly what you might want, but https://www.raylib.com/ raylib. Small, framework, programs in C. Also there avaliable not official lua (tho not all of them are always up to day or even developed anymore), python, and more binding, which you can use to have almost "lovish" expirience with it.
Also writen in PascalCase/camelCase notation.
(and, if i get it right, raylib doesn't use SDL at all, so not everything might be as in love)