Contests?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
napco
Party member

Contests?

Post by napco »

I know that this is a quite small community (not as small as italian game-making communities), but it would be cool to make contests (screenshot contest, minigame contest, theme contests etc...). I think this would attract other users, motivate inactive users (if there are any) and create a nice competition atmosphere...

PS Sorry for the bad english, but when i've just woke up my head doesn't work as it should...
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Contests?

Post by bartbes »

napco wrote:screenshot contest
I can't help but think about the Demos topic and the Avatar topic.
napco wrote:motivate inactive users (if there are any)
About 4/5 the members of the forum, basically :P

Yes, well, I'm quite ambitious, so I doubt I will be able to create a game in a limited amount of time.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:
napco wrote:screenshot contest
I can't help but think about the Demos topic and the Avatar topic.
We could have a contest coupled with the imminent release of 0.6.0: Who Can Create The Most Awesome Game Using Cool New Features From Löve 0.6.0 In Just A Week/Day/Hour? (Which would have the acronym WCCTMAGUCNFFL0IJAW/D/H -- it has a nice ring to it ;))
bartbes wrote:
napco wrote:motivate inactive users (if there are any)
About 4/5 the members of the forum, basically :P
I think that's overstated: that would make the number of active users 115, I don't think the number of active users is a lot more than 15-40 (depending on your definition of active...)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I was talking about people >0 posts, so, I guess my guess was pretty accurate if that are 115 people. I should write such things more, saves time and resources. (not having to think :P)
Let's call it a guesstimate.

Anyway, I think we do need a contest, but as I just stated, I probably won't participate myself.. (it would be unfair anyway, most people don't have the experience with 0.6.0 I have :D)
Almost
Prole

Post by Almost »

Sounds like a good idea to me.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

bartbes wrote:Anyway, I think we do need a contest, but as I just stated, I probably won't participate myself.. (it would be unfair anyway, most people don't have the experience with 0.6.0 I have :D)
Is that a challenge? ;)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

As mike's game is called: NO. :D

EDIT: Directed @TechnoCat
Last edited by bartbes on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenoch
Citizen

Post by Tenoch »

Contests are always nice, I vote yes.
"When in doubt, use brute force." Ken Thompson
Almost
Prole

Post by Almost »

Speaking of a screenshot contest, in my opinion new screenshots on the http://love2d.org/screenshots page would be a good idea. That page is probably the deciding factor of whether or not to use Love for a lot of potential new users, and it's rather unimpressive right now.

It currently has 3 different 'No Game' screens, and two rather bland particle demonstrations (Particles are great, but a screenshot of JUST particles is rather boring). I think it'd be a good idea to have a contest to see who can make the best screenshots in love to replace/add to that demo gallery. (Assuming the person able to edit that page is willing to do this)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Almost wrote:Speaking of a screenshot contest, in my opinion new screenshots on the http://love2d.org/screenshots page would be a good idea. That page is probably the deciding factor of whether or not to use Love for a lot of potential new users, and it's rather unimpressive right now.
Good idea. If most potential lövers are like me, they will look at the screenshots before deciding anything. Having a contest for them is an great way to show new people the benefits of LÖVE.
Help us help you: attach a .love.