Favourite inspiring/unique games

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Re: Favourite inspiring/unique games

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Heheh. Thanks. I'll try to make more fan art of other games. Maybe Nuclear Throne next...? :P
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
norubal
Party member

Post by norubal »

Dungeon crawl: stone soup was my favorite game before devs removing interesting interactions and easy ways to beat a game.
duaner
Prole

Post by duaner »

norubal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:23 am Dungeon crawl: stone soup was my favorite game before devs removing interesting interactions and easy ways to beat a game.
I agree. Fortunately, you can still compile and play the old versions. Their reasoning is great in theory. In practice, it sucked a lot of fun out.
Party member

norubal wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:23 am Dungeon crawl: stone soup was my favorite game before devs removing interesting interactions and easy ways to beat a game.
duaner wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:37 am

I agree. Fortunately, you can still compile and play the old versions. Their reasoning is great in theory. In practice, it sucked a lot of fun out.
Some examples of the interesting interactions they removed? (Though I'm pretty sure I dtill play the old version, whcihc I started recently, that still has hunger).

duaner
Prole

Post by duaner »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:17 amSome examples of the interesting interactions they removed? (Though I'm pretty sure I dtill play the old version, whcihc I started recently, that still has hunger).
I disagreed with too many of their improvements to count over the years. I used to play necromancers a lot, so the changes to corpses and chunks annoyed me. I hated the changes to mephitic cloud and removal of swiftness and weapon charms and skalds, etc. etc. I patched a lot of that stuff out, but it became unmanageable after a while.

However, the thing that bugs me the most is all the changes they made to prevent you from playing as long as you want. If I want to spend a year playing the same game, that should be my choice. The whole point of playing a turn-based game is so you don't have to feel time-pressure.

Of course, I agree with their reasoning in theory, but it turns out that I don't like playing a theoretically perfect game. However, I'm happy now that they ruined the game for me, because it gave me the incentive to make my own dungeon crawler. I may never finish it, but I find it more fun to play than stone soup.
Party member

Heheh. Now I'm scared to update. Though I wonder how bezerkers are interesting now because before (especially in Dungeon Sprints) they were powerful but used up food ... but now there's no hunger clock?
duaner wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:08 pmHowever, I'm happy now that they ruined the game for me, because it gave me the incentive to make my own dungeon crawler. I may never finish it,
Woah.
but I find it more fun to play than stone soup.
WOAH.

So it's already playable. :ultrashocked: Any screenshots? ASCII or graphical? Which engine :P (Funny enough, I'm also working on a roguelike ... crawler ... thingy)

duaner
Prole

Post by duaner »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:43 pmHeheh. Now I'm scared to update.
If you just started playing, you won't miss any of the things I do.
Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:43 pmSo it's already playable. :ultrashocked: Any screenshots?
I've been working on it off and on for five years -- first on love, then on godot, now I'm back to love again. My goals are to make it simple enough to play on my phone (easy) and to punish specialization while still keeping it replayable (hard). At the moment, I'm cherry-picking features from the godot version to get the love version up to date. (I got side-tracked, playing with luakit, for the last month.) I'm not using any libraries, and the icons are Kenny's one-bit roguelike (with lots of additions).

It's possible to do all the roguelike algorithms in godot's gdscript, but you have to optimize and still have to make some compromises. It's a lot easier in love.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (117.98 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
Party member

duaner wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:35 pm
If you just started playing, you won't miss any of the things I do.
Too late. I already have +10 hours in the old one :P

Nice progress, (especially since you plan for it to be playable on mobile). I'll be looking forward to it if you get finish. :)

zingo
Prole

Post by zingo »

Fallout, the original (dos)...I haven't played any of the sequels, but I feel a lot of nostalgia for the first game in the series. Aside from the post-apocalyptic setting, there was a fair bit of "dark humor", and the world was rather expansive.

The biggest draw for me, however, was that how you built your character really impacted how you interacted with the npcs. For example, intelligent/articulate characters could talk their way out of a lot of precarious situations, were better at bartering, could garner more respect/reputation, etc., whereas a brute was more or less limited to just punching his way through everything...and of course one could create a character that was somewhere in the middle of these two archetypes.

This dynamic presented a lot of replay value, and reinforced the idea that the player character could have a significant influence within the fictional world they inhabited.

Also, while there was an overarching goal/plot, the player was pretty much free to roam around and discover any number of entertaining sidequests/easter eggs/distractions, so they weren't railroaded into simply going from point A to point B. It reminded me a lot of another game called "Wasteland" that had a lot of the same ideas.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

zingo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:02 am Fallout, the original (dos)...I haven't played any of the sequels (...)
You defiantly should, especially New Vegas!