The Squarehouse

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
noahnadai
Prole

The Squarehouse

Post by noahnadai »

This is the first game I've made. I'd appreciate it a bunch if you guys played it. Any advice on how I can improve would really be awesome too. Thank You.

https://mwasanje.itch.io/the-squarehouse
Attachments
The Squarehouse.love
(268.38 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Last edited by noahnadai on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sphyrth
Party member

Re: The Squarehouse

Post by sphyrth »

Gonna try and complete the game later.

For now, I think the camera behavior needs improvement. It created this situation. Sure, you can have clues as to what is going on, but I consider this as too unfair for the first level.
Unfair Section.png
Unfair Section.png (34.73 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
If Unfairness your intention, then my complaint is moot. I had my fair share of IWBTG games anyway.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

So, I managed to complete it. Without spoiling too much, those are well thought-out level designs. :awesome:
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Really polished for a first game. Love the particles and movement system. These smaller games would really benefit from being playable in a web-browser. (see: https://github.com/Davidobot/love.js)
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
steVeRoll
Party member

Post by steVeRoll »

It is very nice for a first game! I really like the look of the levels. The platforming challanges are very difficult, that and the lack of checkpoints makes for an infuriating (but very rewarding) experience. I especially liked the last part... ;)

Like sphyrth said, the camera can be very annoying at times because it doesn't move just enough to let you see what you'll land on. Also, the background music was very annoying (at least for me), and a way to mute it would be nice.

Overall a really nice game. One thing it would benefit from is sound effects, especially for jumping.

Great work!
noahnadai
Prole

Post by noahnadai »

sphyrth wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:44 am Gonna try and complete the game later.

For now, I think the camera behavior needs improvement. It created this situation. Sure, you can have clues as to what is going on, but I consider this as too unfair for the first level.
Unfair Section.png
If Unfairness your intention, then my complaint is moot. I had my fair share of IWBTG games anyway.
Thanks so much for playing the game!! :awesome: You're awesome.
Yes, the camera movement and the level setup is meant to be unfair. It felt like a good idea. I was going for a "Keep trying" vibe.
noahnadai
Prole

Post by noahnadai »

sphyrth wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:43 pm So, I managed to complete it. Without spoiling too much, those are well thought-out level designs. :awesome:
Muchas gracias bro ^^
noahnadai
Prole

Post by noahnadai »

Davidobot wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:17 pm Really polished for a first game. Love the particles and movement system. These smaller games would really benefit from being playable in a web-browser. (see: https://github.com/Davidobot/love.js)
Lol I wish I'd listened to that advice a month or two ago. Polishing is a weakness guys.
Thanks for the compliments.
I might also take up your advice and make a WEB version for my next small game. Thanks dude
noahnadai
Prole

Post by noahnadai »

steVeRoll wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:09 pm It is very nice for a first game! I really like the look of the levels. The platforming challanges are very difficult, that and the lack of checkpoints makes for an infuriating (but very rewarding) experience. I especially liked the last part... ;)

Like sphyrth said, the camera can be very annoying at times because it doesn't move just enough to let you see what you'll land on. Also, the background music was very annoying (at least for me), and a way to mute it would be nice.

Overall a really nice game. One thing it would benefit from is sound effects, especially for jumping.

Great work!
Appreciate the suggestions bro. Like I told sphyrth, I the difficulty was intentional. I'll see about changing somethings like the music and some settings though so don't worry about it. I'm just glad you thought it was nice.

One issue though with adding sound effects was that LOVE doesn't have the most straight forward and intuitive functions for adjusting audios so assigning sounds to individual lasers is a math problem I got fatigued trying to solve so any ideas with that would be really appreciated. Thanks! ^^
steVeRoll
Party member

Post by steVeRoll »

noahnadai wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:47 pm
steVeRoll wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:09 pm - snip -
Appreciate the suggestions bro. Like I told sphyrth, I the difficulty was intentional. I'll see about changing somethings like the music and some settings though so don't worry about it. I'm just glad you thought it was nice.

One issue though with adding sound effects was that LOVE doesn't have the most straight forward and intuitive functions for adjusting audios so assigning sounds to individual lasers is a math problem I got fatigued trying to solve so any ideas with that would be really appreciated. Thanks! ^^
I thought all lasers were on a single timer? If that's the case you don't need an audio source for each individual laser, you could have a single audio source that plays some laser sound and loops. Play it when the lasers start firing, and stop it when the lasers stop firing.