Getting width and height of a quad

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
pnzr
Prole

Getting width and height of a quad

Post by pnzr »

I have few quads of various size created from the same tileset. How can I get width or height of specific quad?
I tried this but it didn't work:

Code: Select all

quad_box = love.graphics.newQuad(0, 0, 50, 50, img_tileset:getWidth(), img_tileset:getHeight())
x = quad_box:getHeight()
tentus
Inner party member

Re: Getting width and height of a quad

Post by tentus »

I may be misremembering, since I don't use quads much, but isn't part of the point of them that they don't have hard-and-fast widths or heights? When I do use quads, I use them to render a tiling image, and keep the width I want in a separate variable.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
pnzr
Prole

Post by pnzr »

I just wanted to use single tileset for all game graphics. Maybe it is a bad idea? I need width and height to do collision detection.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

There's nothing wrong with using a single tileset (that I know of, anyhow). I would recommend keeping width and height in their own variables, which you define before you even make the quads- that way your source isn't full of magic numbers.

As an example, here's an entity declaration from a game I was making with my roommate:

Code: Select all

solid = class { function(self, x, y, w, h, img)
	self.width = w or 64
	self.height = h or 64
	self.shape = collider:addRectangle(x - (self.width / 2), y - (self.height / 2), self.width, self.height)
	collider:setPassive(self.shape)
	self.img = img or "rock"
	if img[self.img] == nil then
		img[self.img] = love.graphics.newImage("media/ents/".. self.img ..".png")
		img[self.img]:setWrap("repeat", "repeat")
	end
	self.quad = love.graphics.newQuad(0, 0, self.width, self.height, 64, 64)
end }
I'm using HardonCollider for collision, but I'm also keeping width and height on hand (both variables also have defaults of 64, in case something goes wrong in my level file). I then set the image name, and check that said image is loaded- if not I load it into my img table and set it to wrap on both axes. Finally, I make a quad and use the width and height already defined to make it work.

It's not exactly what you're talking about, but kinda close.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
pnzr
Prole

Post by pnzr »

Thanks.