teleko

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
N88
Prole

teleko

Post by N88 »

Hello, this is my first project that resembles a game with some gameplay.

ImageImage

Update:
Added some basic UI and the ability to browse levels by clicking left/right triangles in top right corner. Support for levels of any size and for different window resolutions.
Added some new levels, but it's rather me playing with the editor than proper levels. They're not even in any meaningful order.
Also made few changes to the editor, it's now possible to toggle editor on/off with "E" key.
teleko.love
new version
(283.51 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
The code is now 100% more ugly. I might rewrite it from scratch, or maybe try libgdx, so that I can finally learn some Java, also the crossplatformability of libgx sounds tempting. Anyway, I'll try to design some basic set of levels first (that is if I'll even be able to).

It is a 2D puzzle game where your goal is to move the blue square to the exit. The square can move only in straight lines and stops only when it hits a wall (kind of like a ice sliding puzzle).
There are some special tiles:
  • red Toggles each move
  • green Disappears when you move away from it
  • blue Disappears when you move to it
I started with just a quick "moving square" demo, then added simple editor and after some time of fooling around I started thinking it might work as a game, perhaps? The program is just a rough prototype, but it should work. I would appreciate if anyone tried playing it, perhaps even playing around with the editor and giving some feedback. I would mainly like to know if it could become interesting enough game for people to play.

For your own safety don't look at the code, it's a mess.
Last edited by N88 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
davisdude
Party member

Re: teleko

Post by davisdude »

Nice game! I like the polish!

Level 14- I can't seem to use the goal when you go up and down through it...
Try it:
right, up, right, up, right, down, left, down, left, down, right, up

One other suggestion would be to introduce the difference blocks over multiple levels, that way they're easier to get the hang of.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
N88
Prole

Post by N88 »

davisdude wrote:Nice game! I like the polish!

Level 14- I can't seem to use the goal when you go up and down through it...
Try it:
right, up, right, up, right, down, left, down, left, down, right, up

One other suggestion would be to introduce the difference blocks over multiple levels, that way they're easier to get the hang of.
Thanks! About level 14, that's intended. You need to stop at goal not just pass through. By the way, level 14 is the hardest, imho.

Some gradual difficulty/new blocks progression would definitely be present in the final levels. Those were just a few I made while I was learning my own game (and there is still a lot to learn). In fact designing levels is far more difficult than the actual programming part.
BlueWolf
Prole

Post by BlueWolf »

N88 wrote:Some gradual difficulty/new blocks progression would definitely be present in the final levels. Those were just a few I made while I was learning my own game (and there is still a lot to learn). In fact designing levels is far more difficult than the actual programming part.
From what you said, it seems like you're going about it the right way (playing around with the rules first). Some further information about puzzle design I stumbled upon recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zVjdEhHmGo
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

I tried controlling it with the mouse first and thought it was an editor only. Then I read the instructions and was I pleasantry surprised about the animation and sound! :)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
N88
Prole

Post by N88 »

qubodup wrote:Then I read the instructions and was I pleasantry surprised about the animation and sound! :)
Thanks! And it's nice of you to make videos of our LÖVE game attempts :)
I added the descriptions of controls directly into the game, it might be more clear that way.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Oh wow, such a simple mechanic and it works so well. Well done! :)

Great animations indeed. Keep it up!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de