[SOLVED] Running Love in a new terminal (Linux)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

[SOLVED] Running Love in a new terminal (Linux)

Post by MarekkPie »

EDIT: Figured it out about 2 minutes after I posted, but leaving this here for posterity.

Code: Select all

gnome-terminal -x bash -c "love ./"
Now, when I close the new window, the LOVE application also closes.

Original post:

I'm having a bit of an issue with the project I am working on. I have an idea what the issue is (a while loop that never escapes), but that's not quite what I am trying to figure out.

I've moved to Vim, because I'm a masochist, and have been using ":! love ./" to run my game for debugging. Yet, because of the aforementioned issue, if I run into the bug, I can't escape the LOVE game, and the only command that does anything in the terminal is ^Z, which just seems to turn off Vim as opposed to turning off LOVE.

When I was using other development environments, they often would create their own terminal and execute within that. If I ever ran into an inescapable loop, I would simply kill the terminal, and everything would go back to normal. I don't want to do that here, as I am running Vim inside the same terminal.

So what I am wanting to do is open a new terminal and then run "love ./" Looking online, it seems the way to do this is "gnome-terminal -e [command]", but whenever I do that, I only get the default LOVE splash screen. Even if I specify the path (in my case "~/projects/Lua/puzzleleague/") it just gives me the splash screen.

It seems as if it is a OS-wide problem (just tested "gnome-terminal -e vim ~/projects/Lua/puzzleleague/main.lua"), but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas before I scour the Internet some more.
waraiotoko
Prole

Re: [SOLVED] Running Love in a new terminal (Linux)

Post by waraiotoko »

I was going to recommend making a small shells script and just close Love through that, glad you figured it out!
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: [SOLVED] Running Love in a new terminal (Linux)

Post by Robin »

Also, in extreme emergency: killall -9 love
Help us help you: attach a .love.