Common game translations

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ivan
Party member

Re: Common game translations

Post by ivan »

raidho36 wrote:Why is it an ini, exactly? And not a Lua table that you simply require?
That's just one possible way to store the translations. In theory, you can export the strings to whatever format you like.
Most applications nowadays use similar key-value formats although you are correct that ini is not the most modern option.
steVeRoll wrote:I just started adding things in Hebrew. Good to know this is still active!
Thanks! I should mention that we're going to move away from Google Docs in the future. All of the data will still remain freely available under the MIT License.

PS. I've just added the option to export translations directly to Lua/CSV and Valve's preferred format: VDF.
Guard13007
Party member

Post by Guard13007 »

Please make it more clear how there are multiple levels to translations and how to navigate. The very first thing I did was see "commando" was being listed as "8-Bit Commando" in English, assumed it was a bug, changed it, then realized how the system is supposed to work, and changed it back. It's not at all clear that that was a title for a specific game!

Edit: Also, the popup about login required doesn't go away ever, and the back button always takes you back to the top level instead of up one level! D:

Edit 2: When coming back from Steam login, you are brought to the homepage instead of where you were. When clicking create while having an item focused, you lose any changes to that item!
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Guard13007 wrote:Please make it more clear how there are multiple levels to translations and how to navigate.
Good point, I'll add breadcrumbs in the next few days.
Guard13007 wrote:Edit 2: When coming back from Steam login, you are brought to the homepage instead of where you were. When clicking create while having an item focused, you lose any changes to that item!
Another good point, I'll get these fixed soon.
Guard13007 wrote:Edit: Also, the popup about login required doesn't go away ever, and the back button always takes you back to the top level instead of up one level! D:
Are you trying to delete a row or rename its key value?
The error message is generic but unless you're the 'owner' of that item you can't change the key or delete it.
Other than that, adding translations is open to everybody including 'guests'.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Just updated the app:
http://2dengine.com/translate/
Guard13007 wrote:Please make it more clear how there are multiple levels to translations and how to navigate.
Edit 2: When coming back from Steam login, you are brought to the homepage instead of where you were. When clicking create while having an item focused, you lose any changes to that item!
These two have been fixed. Either way it looks like the hierarchical format is not a good fit, so it would probably be better to keep everything in flat lists.

I wish I had more time to add features like commenting but that's going to be on hold for a while.