Common game translations

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ivan
Party member

Re: Common game translations

Post by ivan »

SiENcE wrote:@ivan This is a really great idea! Thanks very much for initiating this.
Thanks so much! Any help is much appreciated. :)

PS. I've added a page on "math" although I'm not too good at math so please feel free improve/expand the terminology.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I'd like to share my localization lib, which works pretty well with this project.

Here is the example usage:

Code: Select all

lang = require("lang.localize")

function love.load()
	lang.set_locale("en")
  lang.set_text("text1", "this is the first string")
  lang.set_text("text2", "this is the second string")
  lang.set_text("text3", "this is string number $1")
end

function love.update(dt)

end

function love.draw()
	love.graphics.print(lang.get_text("text1"), 10, 10)
	love.graphics.print(lang.get_text("text2"), 10, 30)
	love.graphics.print(lang.get_text("text3", 3), 10, 50)
end
Supported features:
- utf8
- formatting for $1, $2, $3 flags
- character mapping
- samplar strings
Attachments
lang.love
localize.lua
(3.53 MiB) Downloaded 169 times
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

ivan wrote:Added a page on transliteration.
It's generally used to convert non-Latin scripts in the Roman alphabet.
Not sure if we could make this work both ways.
How about IPA characters -> per-language characters that (closely enough) represent those sounds? That would at least allow people to know how to pronounce stuff from other languages;
Usage cases... maybe used like furigana, in subtitles in games; maybe i'll do a demo of this...?
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

zorg wrote:How about IPA characters -> per-language characters that (closely enough) represent those sounds? That would at least allow people to know how to pronounce stuff from other languages;
Usage cases... maybe used like furigana, in subtitles in games; maybe i'll do a demo of this...?
I'm not too familiar with IPA so I don't know how we could make it work.
Sure add some examples to the doc and we'll see how it goes :)
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Alternatively, we could use them as the keys for the transliteration page, since currently, i'm torn whether my accented vowels would go to their "plain" places (e.g. ö -> o) or their "correct" ones (e.g. ö -> oe)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Sounds good although it might be better to add IPA as a "language" column since it's recommended for the keys to be plain *non-UTF8*.
Either way, it's a good idea :)
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Yeah sounds good, for example JA-IPA or CH-IPA columns, they would be SUPER useful
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Two issues with my idea though;

1. IPA characters are phonetic, meaning (mostly) one sound per character, though there are a few "diphthongs" as well (tied ts for example); which can be problematic with languages that have syllabaries instead of alphabets (like Japanese; atomic units are made out of both a consonant and a vowel, except n) so there may be need for combined IPA symbols to identify them.

2. Since i thought that the mapping should assign characters to not just exact matches but similar ones too, every language would need to have a secondary column denoting the correct/true characters/sounds they use (either just an X or their ordinal position in their respective alphabets), so we can separate them from the similar ones, that would be used for reverse-mapping (i.e. everything not in their alphabets).

Positive07: JA and CH/ZH columns in my opinion would only work with their syllabaries, not with the whole kanji/hanzi; those should have a separate library to convert them to furigana/(similar for the Chinese one), and then could this be used to convert the sounds to IPA.
Admicos
Prole

Post by Admicos »

Adding some Turkish strings.

Happy to contribute!

(Sorry, my English is bad. Probably because im still learning.)
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Thanks so much for the help, Admicos.
Any help if much appreciated, including new languages or terms that you want to have translated.
PS. I think we should add Czech, Danish and possibly Vietnamese too.