I am confused on how to play a game on linux

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Spirit19
Prole

I am confused on how to play a game on linux

Post by Spirit19 »

Hi there, I just downloaded LOVE today and I am very, very confused. I have the Linux version on Ubuntu. I have the script for the Hello World written but I have absolutely no idea how to play it in LOVE. I read the wiki but to no avail. I just didn't understand it. If anyone can explain into something very simple please do. Thanks.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: I am confused on how to play a game on linux

Post by veethree »

I've not used linux for a while, But if i remember correctly, You can cd to the games directory (the folder containing main.lua) and do "love .". or cd into the folder containing the folder containing main.lua and do "love folder_name".

In case you're also new to linux, when i say "cd to the games directory" i mean opening a terminal, and using the cd command to navigate to the games directory.

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/game
I reckon you should read the getting started page on the wiki. It goes over some of the very basics.

Unrelated: This is just a personal opinion, But i find the blue font a bit irritating. If you could refrain from doing that in future post, Me and potentially some other people would appreciate it. However if that's just me, Ignore this part, I'll deal with it.
Spirit19
Prole

Post by Spirit19 »

Thanks, I would like to know if I do

cd /user/desktop/folder name love .
or is that wrong. Not sure how terminal works yet.

And sorry about the blue font. Blue is my color but I will stop if it irritates you.

EDIT: Also, as extra info. I saved the Hello World document as main.lua and put it in a folder on the desktop. Thats all I knew how to do xD
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Just do love /home/path/to/game_dir
Spirit19
Prole

Post by Spirit19 »

:| Even that confuses me bruh. Im a hardware guy, not a software guy. Sorry for the trouble but this isnt exactly my thing.

The path/to/game doesnt make sense. I need a directory example. /user/desktop or/bob/documents
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

If your game is on your desktop, it is in your home folder inside a folder called Desktop. You would open up a terminal and type the command:

cd ~/Desktop/MyAwesomeGame
Replace "MyAwesomeGame" with the name of the folder. For sake of simplicity, this folder name can't have spaces in it. The "~" is your home directory, where your Pictures, Videos, and similar folders lie. Next you would type this command to run the game:

love .
And you can repeat the above command as many times as you want to run your game, just remember that your terminal has to be in the folder when you do so.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Or you can do love /home/Bob/Desktop/mygame
Spirit19
Prole

Post by Spirit19 »

Ok cool so it makes more sense now. So literally all I have to do is type

cd ~/desktop/File . love
Basically? Or is the ~ for my user
Spirit19
Prole

Post by Spirit19 »

Ok is it supposed to add it at the beginin of the terminal? like the place where I cant type?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

No.

Open up a terminal. Type in love ~/Desktop/mygame (or wherever you put your game). Press enter.

If you want to do more with software, I suggest you google for a few tutorials that explain the command line.
Help us help you: attach a .love.