Flapoline

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
drakmaniso
Prole

Flapoline

Post by drakmaniso »

Hi,

I'm new here, and I'd like to present you my first (completed) project with Löve.

Flapoline is a "Flappy Bird" fan game with a twist: instead of controlling the bird, you place a trampoline with the mouse so that the hopeless volatile can bounce on it.
Flapoline_1.1.png
Flapoline_1.1.png (103.52 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
It lacks polishing (especially regarding assets and transitions), but my goal currently is to write several small games to explore various aspects of game design. I was also upset by all the negative comments that were thrown at Flappy Bird and its developer, and wanted to show that (imho) the most important part of game development is not to come up with brand new concepts, but to carefully calibrate their execution. I'm not sure if I have succeded or not on this point (you tell me! :) ).

If anyone tests it, I'd love to have feedback on the difficulty curve: it's supposed to be very challenging, but with a satisfying progression...

Finally, a big thanks to the Löve team for a great framework!
Flapoline_1.1.love
Use with Löve 0.9.0
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 284 times
Flapoline_1.1_win32.zip
Executable for Windows.
(4.02 MiB) Downloaded 165 times
Here's a version for android, contributed by Positive07.

In case someone want to take a look at the source:

https://github.com/drakmaniso/Flapoline

The code is under GPL v3, and assets are under CC by sa.

EDIT: btw, my current high score is 38...
EDIT2: Updated attachments with version 1.1, which fix the bug found by Positive07.
EDIT3: Added link to APK contributed by Positive07.
Last edited by drakmaniso on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Positive07
Party member

Re: Flapoline

Post by Positive07 »

Ir runs in android and its great, the graphics are awesome and it's really difficult.

I found an error thought, on the top of the screen there is no limit so you can go over the obstacles
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
drakmaniso
Prole

Post by drakmaniso »

Positive07 wrote:Ir runs in android and its great, the graphics are awesome and it's really difficult.
That's good to know! I thought it would be too difficult to place the trampoline on a phone... Or maybe you played on a tablet?
I found an error thought, on the top of the screen there is no limit so you can go over the obstacles
Ha, good catch! I'll patch this soon.

Thanks for the feedback.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Woah, this is pretty great for a first project - well done!

Impossible to play with a touchpad - I suck with touchpads and with these kinds of games :D
But it feels very, very good - the sound effects and the bouncing effect or the trampoline make it very good...
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

jajaja cool bro, I just played it, I'll send it to some friends.
drakmaniso
Prole

Post by drakmaniso »

I've updated the first post with a new version, which fix the bug found by Positive07: it's still possible to go above the top of the screen (because it's sometimes useful), but not to bypass an obstacle by doing so.
Germanunkol wrote:But it feels very, very good - the sound effects and the bouncing effect or the trampoline make it very good...
Thanks. I find that the "feeling" of my own projects is hard to evaluate without external feedback.

Btw this is not really my first game, just the first one I've completed and released.
alberto_lara wrote:jajaja cool bro, I just played it, I'll send it to some friends.
Great!
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Awesome! placing the trampoline in a phone is not dificult at all it is easier than with a touchpad at least. Wait me an hour an I can give you an apk for release
end
SneakySnake
Citizen

Post by SneakySnake »

I never really found Flappy Bird or its clones fun, but this game is so well done,,,

The graphics, the sound effects, the physics... Everything feels just right.
And the concept is hilarious!

It's really hard though, as expected from a Flappy Bird game.
The highest score I could achieve is 7.
drakmaniso
Prole

Post by drakmaniso »

Positive07 wrote:Wait me an hour an I can give you an apk for release
Thanks. I do intend to look into the Android port at some point, though I fear that my phone is too old to run it. Having a working APK could give me start though!
SneakySnake wrote:It's really hard though, as expected from a Flappy Bird game.
:joker: I was actually afraid it would be too easy, as I had to tone down difficulty a bit at the last minute. But I was already too much "expert" at the game to decide if it was enough or too much.

Thanks for the feedback.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Im a quite late but I finally could! here is Flapoline for Android

NOTE: You can't upload this file to Google Play since it is not signed with a release key.

NOTE2: You have to activate "Install from third parties/unknown origins" in your phone (since by default you can install apps just through Google Play). If you cant do it in the settings then ask Mr. Google
end