Problems unpacking my game

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
nice
Party member

Problems unpacking my game

Post by nice »

Hey guys!

So I have finished my first game in love and I'm going to distribute for feedback but I have run into some problems.

For some reason game (the love file is called spacevoider.love) dosen't unpack it self or run when you double click it but it does run when you run it through the terminal.
Any guesses what's wrong?

Love

Knodd

P.S. the file is attached so you can check it out.
Attachments
spacevoider.love
(119.3 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
:awesome: Have a good day! :ultraglee:
bizziboi
Citizen

Re: Problems unpacking my game

Post by bizziboi »

Do other love files work for you when you double-click them?
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

It works for me. Does it even start LÖVE for you when you double-click it? Your computer may be thinking it needs to open .love files with another program.
nice
Party member

Post by nice »

This is my first Löve file that I'm packaging, my first official Löve game, I had to go through a long and probably unnecessary process by going in the Terminal and tell it to unpack it with commands/code (ex. /applications/Löve.. etc) which is supposed not to happen.
The only thing that's supposed to happen is that I double click the spacevoider.love and it should play it.
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

As I asked before, does it work with other love files you download? I am wondering if the OS (OsX?) doesn't have the extension registered to open them with love2d.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

You just select all the files and folders inside your working directory, right-click and select 'Compress x items'. That will create a zip file. Then just rename the .zip to .love. No magic in Terminal needed at all.
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

What is your OS? If Linux, what distro? How did you install LÖVE?

Edit: pretty game :nyu:
nice
Party member

Post by nice »

bizziboi wrote:As I asked before, does it work with other love files you download? I am wondering if the OS (OsX?) doesn't have the extension registered to open them with love2d.
I haven't actually tried that yet
BozoDel wrote:What is your OS? If Linux, what distro? How did you install LÖVE?

Edit: pretty game :nyu:
I'm using macOS and I just installed it by putting it in my applications and I also have a shortcut for it too.
and also thanks for the visual feedback :awesome:
nice
Party member

Post by nice »

bizziboi wrote:As I asked before, does it work with other love files you download? I am wondering if the OS (OsX?) doesn't have the extension registered to open them with love2d.
Update:

I have just tried to download a random project and it worked just fine but then I returned to my project, I just got the pig.
I think I have done something wrong here..
racarate
Prole

Post by racarate »

Hey gang, I'm helping out Knodd with this and I'm a bit stumped myself. I've used LOVE for a while, and I've not seen this situation before. It's like this:

1. We zipped up the directory and renamed it to .love
2. Running the love file from the command line *works* (by typing /Applications/love.app/Contents/love /Desktop/spacevoider.love at the console)
3. Running the love file by double-clicking *doesn't work*, it results in rubber piggy

I don't see any errors in the console or anything, but I'm actually not sure how to get a debug console to show when double-clicking.

The fact that other people's .love files work with double-clicking makes me think maybe it's a permissions issue? Are permissions different when starting love from the command line versus starting love by double-clicking?

The one other interesting factor is that this is a Swedish system -- would running in a different language (Swedish) affect double-click-to-start behavior?

EDIT: Double-clicking to start works on my English system.
EDIT2: He's running OSX 10.9, I'm running OSX 10.8.4