classes in Lua???

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Tabasco
Citizen

Re: classes in Lua???

Post by Tabasco »

You shouldn't actually have to recurse anything. When you do something like 'bnvar = Button.new()', you're making an instance of Button. The values you initialize in Button.new are private to bnvar but bnvar has been hooked up to Button (via metatable) so if you have something like Button:Draw() or Button:SetText(), you can execute those functions for bnvar like so: 'bnvar:SetText(mytext)'.

The Button:SetText function might look like this:

Code: Select all

function Button:SetText(newtext)
   self.text = newtext;
end
Feel free to take a look at the gui.lua module in Militia Defense, or even the units in gamedata.lua. It can get pretty nasty as I get a pretty lazy attitude when I'm working in lua, but the class concept and implementation should be sound.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

If anyone's still interested in my classes system, you can now find it on the wiki (the one in this thread creates an infinite loop, I shouldn't update without testing).
Link: http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... ass_System
mikembley
Citizen

Post by mikembley »

Wow, Just when i thought there couldnt possibly be any more LÖVE puns, SECS really does take the biscuit!

Thanks for the very useful resource, and now its been imortalized in the wiki so i now know where to find it each time i forget how classes work

You serve to be a very helpful person bartbes +100 LÖVE points
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

No problem. Appleide's talking about making it support multiple inheritance etc, but I wonder if I can still call it SECS then.. Maybe I should create two version, the basic one and the advanced one. (well, you might also argue I call it simple because it is trivial to use)