Margrets Runaway (LD48)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
dandruff
Prole

Margrets Runaway (LD48)

Post by dandruff »

Well... I thought I would present my LD48 game here too. Note that the code is as ugly as it gets and there is a lot of code that is plain wrong written, but when I realized this (and I realized that it didn't affect the game) there was no time for cleaning it up.
Link to the game (LD-site)

Have fun! And don't look at the code :P (No really, don't... it's bad for you!)
coffee
Party member

Re: Margrets Runaway (LD48)

Post by coffee »

Nice. I Looked that trees and the look remind me the same kind than the artwork of Ryne project.

Anyway I liking so far but I'm a bit lost to don't know exactly where to go and do. Nice work.
Note: you should advice how to control. I spent a lot of time trying to find working keys. ;)

OHHHH UR CODE! NO, UR CODE! ARGHHH (actually I didn't saw your code yet).

EDITED: BTW Good Luck for LD48!
jradich
Party member

Post by jradich »

Cool game, my good sir. What the hail do you do.
Losing a friend's trust is the fastest way to lose a friend, forever. FOREVER!
LiquidDandruff
Prole

Post by LiquidDandruff »

the graphics look really good, great job!
dandruff
Prole

Post by dandruff »

Thanks everyone!
Well, the goal is to ascend. To ascend you need a Sky-Beam and to get a Sky-Beam you need three artifacts. These artifacts is not very easy to get to. Two of them is craftable and the last you have to find in the world (rare find). The materials to the artifacts are rare and you need the right recepies. You walk around and klick the various objects in your surroundings to search them for stuff. At the same time you need to focus on staying alive and have your stamina up at all times to not start to lose life.
The fun part is to figure out recepies and explore, but for those who just want to play the game without the need of finding out the recepies for yourself... here you go:
>> List of Recipes <<

Oh yea... Rynes game-scetch had great impact on me, that's why it looks this way ^^
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Y U NO distribute the source as a .love?

That said, I like the design, but it is really not obvious what to do.

Also, time seems to be running out and so does life, but I don't know if or how I could stop or reverse that process.

It seems like you're trying to put two games in one: an exploring game, with all finding things and combining them, and a "frantic" game, with the timer and the goal of making a certain thing. I think the game would have been better if you had stuck with one of them.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Robin wrote:I think the game would have been better if you had stuck with one of them.
yey, or a option to switch gamemode, i.e explore mode and timerun mode.
apart from this, the game graphics looks great. You have grabbed the idea made by Ryne but gave it your own style. Thats great.

For me, the controls where very intuitive placed. I started to understand the control and inventory system very quick.
Well done.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Robin wrote: It seems like you're trying to put two games in one: an exploring game, with all finding things and combining them, and a "frantic" game, with the timer and the goal of making a certain thing. I think the game would have been better if you had stuck with one of them.
Now that I tested it and understood the objective I noticed this:
Collect+Experience Items+Time Limit+Don't have a clue what to do = Desert Loot! (That also is a great game)
(http://love2d.org/wiki/Desert_Loot) :awesome:

Overall the artwork and gameplay is well-done. I only think you should add that explanatory Intro and your game is ready to pack.

Yes Larsii30 control and command Margaret is intuitive. However I only found that when I discovered keys weren't used. :cry:
dandruff
Prole

Post by dandruff »

Yea what you say is totally true.
I will add play-styles (exploration/easy/normal/hard) that will fix the stress issue (When you learn the game, it'll become easier). Add a tutor thingie and rewrite all the worst code. Then I'll try to bruch up the graphics and content a notch. I'll get back to you as soon as I got something new ^^
headchant
Party member

Post by headchant »

Awesome graphics. Awesome game.