[GAME] My Interesting Little Frog

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
T-Bone
Inner party member

[GAME] My Interesting Little Frog

Post by T-Bone »

Tadaa, a little game I've written specifically for love-android. It still needs a lot of work, but it works quite well on my phone.

Get it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7572962/MILF_beta.love

Features:
*Awesome graphics
*Power-up, eat a fly to become even more awesome
*Currently unnecessary pause button
*Keyboard controls because of all the complaints ("1" and "2")

Known Bugs:
*The fugly bar that says "LoveAndroid" at the top. Also screws with the window size, as I'm rendering to a 480*800 surface but since the Android bar and "LoveAndroid" bar takes up place, it's a little bit pressed together.
*No music yet (but you may be thankful for that)
*No high score table (mostly due to lack of properly working love.graphics.print as far as I know, or any way to make Toasts)

Enjoy!

And also, don't take this too seriously. I did this while tired after school a couple of short sessions with plenty of time in between, resulting in the ugliest code of my life. Don't look at the source too much if you want to keep your sanity.
Last edited by T-Bone on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: [GAME] My Interesting Little Frog

Post by Robin »

Funny.

And interesting, how nigh unplayable a LÖVE-android game is on a computer. There must be a way to make games compatible by default, or something like that...
Help us help you: attach a .love.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Robin wrote:Funny.

And interesting, how nigh unplayable a LÖVE-android game is on a computer. There must be a way to make games compatible by default, or something like that...
I think that would be hard. If a game is designed for a touch screen, there is really no good substitute on a computer. Even if you only use single touch like here. Sure, I could have added key controls as well, but this game is designed to be a love-android game specifically. And that's how I think it should work. love-android should be for making Android apps with LÖVE, not running LÖVE apps on Android. I don't want to run software on hardware it wasn't intended for.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

That's true. It just seems a bit unlovely to have to jump through hoops to make games playable on all platforms.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Robin wrote:That's true. It just seems a bit unlovely to have to jump through hoops to make games playable on all platforms.
Well, if you design your game from the beginning to be compatible, then it's really hard at all.

What you might be looking for is some sort of library that registers actions that happen when you press keyboard keys on a computer, and that creates fitting touch buttons when run on Android. Seeing something like that included by default seems strange to me, but such libraries should/will exist to simplify things. As a matter of fact, isn't there already something kinda like this?
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I really think that making a game work well with both handset controls and computer controls is a task for the game-maker, not the framework. And it's a tricky problem, I admit. But if you go play some handset games, you can see how their controls tend to be things which really don't work so well on a computer (with the occasional exception, of course).
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

I have to admit, playing Angry Birds in G+ on my desktop just wasn't the same, but I certainly don't think that developers should start out with a segregated mindset. Look at all the NES games that eventually got ported to the GBA, and all the 64 games that are getting 3DS versions. The biggest hurdle is always a change in control, but gamers can be talked into trying new controls without too much effort. You just have to plan it out carefully.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

tentus wrote:I have to admit, playing Angry Birds in G+ on my desktop just wasn't the same, but I certainly don't think that developers should start out with a segregated mindset. Look at all the NES games that eventually got ported to the GBA, and all the 64 games that are getting 3DS versions. The biggest hurdle is always a change in control, but gamers can be talked into trying new controls without too much effort. You just have to plan it out carefully.
I think that porting and initial compatability are two very different things. My game, for example, would be very easy for me to "port" to computers, if I wanted to. That's not the same as having it work from the beginning on computers. I don't think love-android should be about making all games work on both computers and on Android, but it should of course be possible if the developer decides he/she wants to do it.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Fun game T-Bone but I had some strange errors. After playing some seconds and not in same place the game just crashes (window closes itself). Couldn't figure a pattern here sorry. Crashed 4 times...
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

coffee wrote:Fun game T-Bone but I had some strange errors. After playing some seconds and not in same place the game just crashes (window closes itself). Couldn't figure a pattern here sorry. Crashed 4 times...
Really? That's wierd. Are you playing on Android or computer? This is something I'll look into seriously. If it's something I've messed up, I want to learn what I did wrong. If it's a bug in love-android, it's good to learn about it.