LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Vote for the Best Game!

Legend of Bartbes
17%
Lovely Space Program
10%
SpaceHeist
10%
Dimensionaut
48%
AsterVoid
14%

Total votes: 29

Nixola
Inner party member

Re: LÖVE-Jam 1 [VOTING]

Post by Nixola »

In normal democratic elections one vote isn't 5%
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Nixola wrote:In normal democratic elections one vote isn't 5%
true, but who have voted for their own game? we should not distrust our fellow human brothers before we have any evidence that some one voted for them self!
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

jjmafiae wrote:
true, but who have voted for their own game? we should not distrust our fellow human brothers before we have any evidence that some one voted for them self!
That's... quite true as well, and you're right. It's better to trust people until there's evidence that they shouldn't be trusted, which we don't have.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Nixola wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:
That's... quite true as well, and you're right. It's better to trust people until there's evidence that they shouldn't be trusted, which we don't have.
No one is accusing anyone of cheating. I just think it would be over all better if we for NEXT loveJam didnt use a poll though. As it is a big greyzone where you can just tell friends to vote for you and no one would be wiser. Besides having to type a small motivation also helps us (The developers) to get some feedback, and it also raises the "quality" of the votes.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Here's my input on the games.

Legend of Bartbes
Feels like it's missing a lot of features. There's no indication of when enemy ships are hit, initially making me think the bullets didn't do anything. There's no goal, although that doesn't have to be bad, but there's no way to die either, enemy ships don't shoot and pass right through the player, making it seem kind of pointless.

Lovely Space Program
Good idea. I'd like a 2D clone of KSP. Unfortunately, physics are broken. Even the most basic spaceship falls apart very easily, and the ship can't be controlled at all. I'm not a fan of the tile based editor, but the controls are intuitive, it can be used without any instructions.

SpaceHeist
Unfortunately, I could not get this to work. When starting up, the music would play, but the window had severe problems. It just stayed white, and wouldn't even show the title. It locked up LÖVE, and even my entire system. I had to force quit to regain control of my machine.

Dimensionaut
This is what I voted for. Interesting perspective on the theme, I had hoped to see more of that. Very interesting idea of jumping through dimensions. I didn't like the controls though, I'd have preferred just arrow keys for left, right and jump, and then A and D or so to switch dimensions. If you'd add user preferences, with the ability to rebind keys, that would solve that. In one level, the one where you have to make a long jump, then switch dimension mid-jump, I end up at what seems like an open door, but my character would not walk through it. Then both available dimensions show nowhere to stand on, so it's a bit of a guess what to do next.

AsterVoid
Good idea, but it feels a bit claustrophobic. There seem to be too much asteroids floating around, even at the lowest difficulty, it only takes several seconds before my planet gets hit. And even when it's just a small asteroid, that's an immediate game over, I would've like to see some flexibility there, being able to get hit 3 times or so before you die.

All in all, for just a few days coding, good work everyone!
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

DaedalusYoung wrote:Here's my input on the games.

Lovely Space Program
Good idea. I'd like a 2D clone of KSP. Unfortunately, physics are broken. Even the most basic spaceship falls apart very easily, and the ship can't be controlled at all. I'm not a fan of the tile based editor, but the controls are intuitive, it can be used without any instructions.

Thank you, but I would like to pledge officer! The ships are meant to fall apart, I just didn't add the explosions and the body destruction that followed the explosions.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

DaedalusYoung wrote:Here's my input on the games.

Legend of Bartbes
Feels like it's missing a lot of features. There's no indication of when enemy ships are hit, initially making me think the bullets didn't do anything. There's no goal, although that doesn't have to be bad, but there's no way to die either, enemy ships don't shoot and pass right through the player, making it seem kind of pointless.

Lovely Space Program

SpaceHeist
Unfortunately, I could not get this to work. When starting up, the music would play, but the window had severe problems. It just stayed white, and wouldn't even show the title. It locked up LÖVE, and even my entire system. I had to force quit to regain control of my machine.

Dimensionaut
This is what I voted for. Interesting perspective on the theme, I had hoped to see more of that. Very interesting idea of jumping through dimensions. I didn't like the controls though, I'd have preferred just arrow keys for left, right and jump, and then A and D or so to switch dimensions. If you'd add user preferences, with the ability to rebind keys, that would solve that. In one level, the one where you have to make a long jump, then switch dimension mid-jump, I end up at what seems like an open door, but my character would not walk through it. Then both available dimensions show nowhere to stand on, so it's a bit of a guess what to do next.

AsterVoid
Good idea, but it feels a bit claustrophobic. There seem to be too much asteroids floating around, even at the lowest difficulty, it only takes several seconds before my planet gets hit. And even when it's just a small asteroid, that's an immediate game over, I would've like to see some flexibility there, being able to get hit 3 times or so before you die.

wtf, anyone else not able to start my game? :(... This is kind of sad.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

well first place is already decided, now its more exciting to see who gets last, davidobot or me :D
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

i think im gonna make an update for Legend Of Bartbes when the poll/voting are done.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Here's my input on the games.

Legend of Bartbes
Cant win or Lose, fairly simple but I liked the debris that was left behind after killing stuff.

Lovely Space Program
I liked this a lot. It was fun to be able to build ur on stuff and I killed a lot of time trying to go up to 10.000 and then down and try to land. Nice use of box2d and only a few minor bugs. In my opionion the best entry.

SpaceHeist
My own entry...

Dimensionaut
The most important thing in a platformer is that moveing feels right. In my opionion it could not have been worse on this department, it really ruined it for me. I don't feel like I am the one controlling the character. The art is very good, very well done! The music gives me a headache, and afaik it can be muted (so I had to do that manually). The dimension swapping was fairly cool, but it bugged out both times I played (around level 5-6 or so).

AsterVoid
This is in my opionion the 2nd best entry, the only problem I have with it is that after defeating 1 enemy planet, it is easy that it becomes a stalemate where all the asteroids get chunked into that corner and the remaining 3 planets cant get them out. But the concept was cool and the graphics where good. Overall a well made game.