SkyStronghold - Multiplayer RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kyle
Party member

SkyStronghold - Multiplayer RTS

Post by Kyle »

Disclaimer: I'm not really a writer.
SkyStronghold is a new multiplayer RTS. The entire game takes place on one server in one gigantic, procedurally generated galaxy with limited (although vast) resources. I use the term "RTS" loosely - this game is more of a mix of genres! It's a trading/economy game, it's an action game, and it's a conquest game. You can micromanage your space stations and ships as much as you want, or you can install varying levels of modules that control it for you. There's no limit to what you can do!

Gameplay
The entire game is mostly centered on the concept of orbit. Everything happens in orbit of a planet, a star, an asteroid, etc. Space battles, station construction, everything. Stations are your home bases and can be customized using modules. Each module does something, whether it's a warehouse, hangar, factory, habitation center, or otherwise. Resources (citizens, fuel, water, ore, etc.) flow between modules via transport vehicles. The number of vehicles you can have is limited by how many garage modules you have; bigger garages allow you to have more vehicles, thus speeding up the transit of resources around your station.

More on stations
Stations have the most depth out of any feature in the game. Habitation modules are the most important thing you will build: this is where your colonists and workers live. Without either, you won't be able to do much! More workers means that building projects can be finished more quickly, but this also means more wages to pay and more mouths to feed. Without the backing infrastructure, your workers will quickly starve and revolt. You don't want that!

To make sure your workers have food to eat, you must either provide meals or secure a source of food for civilian-owned stores to buy from. This is where the customizable level of management comes in, too. You could, for example, build a freight manager's office in one of your hangars and hire a freight manager to work out of it. He or she will handle finding shipments on the local market to keep stores supplied. Either way, stores will place orders for certain items, and if these orders aren't filled, the entire system will quickly grind to a halt.

To be continued!

Releases
As of right now, SkyStronghold is in the pre-alpha phase! This means that the only releases are small demos highlighting individual features. The game is far from complete, and anything you do will not be saved yet. Alpha will begin when user registration, the basics of persistence, and enough features are done. Beta will begin when most features are done, and Gold will arrive when the game is considered complete. Updates after Gold will primarily be expansions.

0.1pa - Release 0 Download | Initial release demonstrating basic controls
0.5pa - Release 1 Download | UI is in. EXE only right now, sorry! See later posts for a .love. Requires 0.9.0.

Roadmap
What's done:
  • Basic networking
    Entity system and replication
    Chat
    Early version of galaxy generator*
What's immediately next:
  • User interface
    Building space stations
What's coming soon:
  • Website backend
* - when the galaxy generator changes, the entire galaxy will be different. This means that your progress won't be saved until it's finalized - which happens to be when Alpha will begin. In fact, this is the defining milestone for alpha.

Finally, screenshots!

Not a screenshot, but a sample plot of systems (not stars!) in the game
7R9dIXH.png
7R9dIXH.png (406.76 KiB) Viewed 440 times
From 0.1pa

From 0.5pa showing off station placement
Last edited by Kyle on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: SkyStronghold - Multiplayer RTS

Post by Davidobot »

Awesome! I would love to register my name, but tell how do you plan on making a Login system? SQL?
Also, didn't you make a thread about this game already?: http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27370
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Davidobot wrote:Awesome! I would love to register my name, but tell how do you plan on making a Login system? SQL?
Also, didn't you make a thread about this game already?: http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27370
It's just going to be a PHP backend with MySQL for storage. And yeah, but that thread is dead and outdated. The name and scope of the project has changed quite a bit.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Kyle wrote:
Davidobot wrote:Awesome! I would love to register my name, but tell how do you plan on making a Login system? SQL?
It's just going to be a PHP backend with MySQL for storage. And yeah, but that thread is dead and outdated. The name and scope of the project has changed quite a bit.
All you be able to share this secret knowledge on MySQL and PhP with us?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Davidobot wrote:
Kyle wrote:
All you be able to share this secret knowledge on MySQL and PhP with us?
No. :P
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Updated the OP with a lot more information! I'll continue adding on as the project develops.
ArchAngel075
Party member

Post by ArchAngel075 »

Hmm really interested in game, but if I try to run it it white screens and freezes. I've forced console to display but it seems nothing is outputted to console to help.

It may be a graphics issue or other, but currently i cannot say for certain, any idea ?

Also I allways wanted to see a RTS with LOVE, so nice work :thumbs up:
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Sorry! Took down the server to fix something and forgot to put it back up. When the UI is ready, there'll be a reasonable failure response for server connection...
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Kyle wrote:Sorry! Took down the server to fix something and forgot to put it back up. When the UI is ready, there'll be a reasonable failure response for server connection...
I just looked at the prices, damn, that's a very high price! $7.50 per month? You don't need to run a behemoth for a 2D game.
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

It's not that high. I lowered it anyway and I probably will adjust it again later on. The pricing isn't really important right now, I just put it in there for future reference. :P This forum isn't my primary audience anyway, I'm posting here because it's made using LOVE.