Engine talk stuff

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
NightKawata
Party member

Re: pre 0.9.0 love version celebration parade

Post by NightKawata »

I will answer your question with another:
Did you make this topic?
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

NightKawata wrote:I will answer your question with another:
Did you make this topic?
I DID NOT DERAIL THIS TOPIC!
JESUS CHRIST!
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Wow wow wow. Calm down jjmafiae! Lol. I liked NightKawata poem, very well done :) But not every topic... well.......... ANYWAY! Maybe you could change the topic title to "pre 0.9.0 love version celebration parade(and stuff...)", if you intend to change the title. I don't think there's a need to change the title, because this is awesome! :) Someone needs to port LÖVE over to Python. I'm not saying Python's better than Lua(personally I like Java, but I love Lua!!), I'm just saying it'd make Python game development easier. PyGame is pretty much dead, and there are no resources. I was teaching Lua, but that's going to have to stop for 8 months or so because I got brace thingy's, and I can't talk properly with them. I was teaching Lua so I could teach LÖVE... :( Anyone know how to make a Wiki-Book?? I wanna make one on LÖVE!! Why? Because can.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:Wow wow wow. Calm down jjmafiae! Lol. I liked NightKawata poem, very well done :) But not every topic... well.......... ANYWAY! Maybe you could change the topic title to "pre 0.9.0 love version celebration parade(and stuff...)", if you intend to change the title. I don't think there's a need to change the title, because this is awesome! :) Someone needs to port LÖVE over to Python. I'm not saying Python's better than Lua(personally I like Java, but I love Lua!!), I'm just saying it'd make Python game development easier. PyGame is pretty much dead, and there are no resources. I was teaching Lua, but that's going to have to stop for 8 months or so because I got brace thingy's, and I can't talk properly with them. I was teaching Lua so I could teach LÖVE... :( Anyone know how to make a Wiki-Book?? I wanna make one on LÖVE!! Why? Because can.
IM NOT CALMING DOWN BEFORE WE GET RID OF KAWATA! :joker:

AND WHY THE FUCK DO YOU WANT LOVE TO USE PYTHON? LUA IS EASIEST AND SIMPLEST! :?
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

I didn't want it to use Python. I wanted a Python version. So... that's a no on a Ruby version too? Jk ;) I think I need a cup of Java after this... hehe...
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:I didn't want it to use Python. I wanted a Python version. So... that's a no on a Ruby version too? Jk ;) I think I need a cup of Java after this... hehe...
Y U NO WANNA USE LUA???
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Y U NO DISABLE CAPS LOCK?!

I like Lua, but I also like Ruby and Java and Python and REBOL and C and C# and JavaScript and so on.... I use them all at different times depending on my mood. Lua is for an extremely good mood, Java is for a good mood, etc.

Seriously though too much of anything can make you sick, even if it is a really awesome language like Lua. Personally I think Python is better suited for a beginner, as it teaches good OOP practice, and Lua is probably second in line after Python. Lua doesn't have classes built in, but it's easy enough to make them yourself(or you could use something like middleclass, which I haven't used but it looks awesome!!). I'm working on an old project again, but I like to experiment with other languages. It's good to use more than one language. Today I bought a Linux Format mag on coding, and it teaches Python.

If you really wanna know why I want to learn Python, I'll explain:

1) Django

I've been hearing good things about Django, and I wanna try it out. I'm always trying to improve my web skills(I'm still learning HTML5!).

2) Python Game Development

Back in like 2010, I wanted to make a game in Python. Back then I had no idea what was involved(I had no idea what was involved up until the start of 2013), but now I do, and I feel like I can do it. It's always been annoying me that I couldn't make a game in Python, and that's why I'm trying to do this. Also, my friend wants to learn Python, and if I make a game in it maybe it'll encourage him to learn Python. I told him about Lua+LÖVE, but it was too "hard". I suggested that he should learn Python, then come back to LÖVE. LÖVE spoils you with a lot of stuff, like the community, libraries, DT built in, smooth player movement, etc.

So that's why I'm learning Python. I've also got a challenge for someone/suggestion for LÖVE: Maybe make a semi-port of the Universal Tween Engine? I was working on something similar a while ago, but I just never finished it and I'm too lazy to go back to it now :P
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

its your choice but why not stick with 1 - 2 langue(s) instead of switching all the time?
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

I like to know lots of languages. I feel like learning multiple languages is like having multiple projects on the go at the same time: You can use one when you're not up to coding in another. For example, if I'm not in the mood for Lua I might use C# or something. I never use Ruby or REBOL, because I never feel like using them.
jjmafiae
Party member

Re: Engine talk stuff

Post by jjmafiae »

im always in lua mood