technical vs college

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
kingslovelua
Citizen

technical vs college

Post by kingslovelua »

So besides taking random classes in college whats the differences between learning programming from a tech school and a college. what did you do and why or what would you do and why.

the details from the tech school im looking at
[SNIP]
Last edited by bartbes on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: That looked an awful lot like spam
kingslovelua
Citizen

Re: technical vs college

Post by kingslovelua »

kingslovelua wrote:So besides taking random classes in college whats the differences between learning programming from a tech school and a college. what did you do and why or what would you do and why.

the details from the tech school im looking at
[SNIP]

wait where is every thing i put here why was it "SNIP" ???

did i break a rule i was just trying to get some opinions
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Last edited by bartbes on 11 Oct 2011, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

bartbes wrote:
Last edited by bartbes on 11 Oct 2011, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

Oh I'm sorry if it came off as spam, that was a technical school in my county that I'm thinking of going to next term and for detail reason i wanted to show off what the school is teaching and i was comparing it to the community college I go to.

I just wanted to know the differences and the members opinion on the two, pro's and con's really
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

I can't say for sure, but if the relationship college <-> tech school is like the german Universität <-> Hochschule, then the difference would be that the college doesn't actually teach you programming. Sure, there are programming lectures, but you are rarely forced to do stuff, and when you are, it's something like "Calculate the sum, mean and standard deviation of 100 random numbers".

A college will focus on the theoretical aspects, i.e. higher math, logic, graph theory, algorithm design and analysis and things like that, but not on programming methods and paradigms, project management and other practical stuff.

I'd say that learning how to program will not be a matter of visiting college or a tech school, but how much you are determined to learn and practice it. The main difference would be that a tech school makes it easier to practice, because it forces you to do so. A college usually doesn't.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Actually, my first semester has a programming course, and not just for CS students either, math, physics and.. and.. astronomy(?) too.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I guess Dutch universities are different from Universität.

I'm majoring in AI, this is my second year, and I have had three programming courses until now ((general/procedural) programming, OOP, functional programming).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

For what it's worth...

I helped found a small tech company in the United States several years ago. When my cofounder and I are looking to hire new programmers, college does not count for much. Interesting, functional projects count for a lot. If we have two potential hires, and one of them has a good website and the other has a good resume, I am honestly more likely to hire the one with the website.

My point is that the ability to complete projects counts for more in the real world than the ability to complete courses. Tech may help you in that regard than you would expect.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

vrld wrote:I can't say for sure, but if the relationship college <-> tech school is like the german Universität <-> Hochschule, then the difference would be that the college doesn't actually teach you programming. Sure, there are programming lectures, but you are rarely forced to do stuff, and when you are, it's something like "Calculate the sum, mean and standard deviation of 100 random numbers".

A college will focus on the theoretical aspects, i.e. higher math, logic, graph theory, algorithm design and analysis and things like that, but not on programming methods and paradigms, project management and other practical stuff.

I'd say that learning how to program will not be a matter of visiting college or a tech school, but how much you are determined to learn and practice it. The main difference would be that a tech school makes it easier to practice, because it forces you to do so. A college usually doesn't.

well I'm going to the tech school orientation this Thursday and i'll defiantly if i get the chance ask questions about the program.
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

Robin wrote:I guess Dutch universities are different from Universität.

I'm majoring in AI, this is my second year, and I have had three programming courses until now ((general/procedural) programming, OOP, functional programming).

Where do you plan on doing with a Ai major.