Kill Yellow

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Kill Yellow

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Hi. :3

I spent the weekend making this somewhat simple game for reddit's learngameprogramming class and I thought it was cool and challenging enough to share with everyone! For some reason the video is not as colorful as the game:

WASD to move and arrows to shoot. I'd really appreciate some feedback on how the controls feel... I'm not a really good shmup player so I have no idea if the way I'm handling acceleration is being too annoying or not. Thank you!
Ensayia
Party member

Re: Kill Yellow

Post by Ensayia »

It's a unique concept for sure. It would be nice if the 'defending' squares would do something when shot giving the player a reason to try to hit the yellow without hitting the others. Maybe they could fire back, or get bigger?

On a totally different note, what's up with the god awful weeaboo music?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Probably something he was listening to while recording and didn't care enough to re-record the video without it.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Would be great if you hade gamepad support, something like this is greatly improved with dual-analog. I also feel the lack of diagonal shooting a bit limiting even on a keyboard. Otherwise, it feels good. Nice concept.
adrix89
Party member

Post by adrix89 »

T-Bone wrote:Would be great if you hade gamepad support, something like this is greatly improved with dual-analog. I also feel the lack of diagonal shooting a bit limiting even on a keyboard. Otherwise, it feels good. Nice concept.
Or mouse
I use Workflowy but you can check out Dynalist as its the better offer.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Very nice. Very hard though. And the controls are fine. The Binding of Isaac uses the exact same control scheme. Somehow when you need to move and shoot in four directions independently it works for me. But if I need to just move, I prefer to have the arrows be my movement. Weird. But it works.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

that's pretty damn cool. you could add loads of crazy particle effects like in Really Big Sky. that would look sweet in my opinion.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

felix24 wrote:that's pretty damn cool. you could add loads of crazy particle effects like in Really Big Sky. that would look sweet in my opinion.
That game has very nice graphics, but I don't think I have the skills to do something like that yet.
Jasoco wrote:Very nice. Very hard though. And the controls are fine. The Binding of Isaac uses the exact same control scheme. Somehow when you need to move and shoot in four directions independently it works for me. But if I need to just move, I prefer to have the arrows be my movement. Weird. But it works.
I'm very inspired by The Binding of Isaac! It's pretty great you could recognize that. But I don't follow what you meant when you said move and shoot in four directions independently... I could give you an option to change movement to the arrow keys, but then you'd be shooting with AWSD, is that what you meant?
T-Bone wrote:Would be great if you hade gamepad support, something like this is greatly improved with dual-analog. I also feel the lack of diagonal shooting a bit limiting even on a keyboard. Otherwise, it feels good. Nice concept.
Yea, but I haven't had a console since my PS1 so I don't really have a gamepad. Guess I'll buy one! Is love.joystick what I should be reading to add support for that?
Ensayia wrote:It's a unique concept for sure. It would be nice if the 'defending' squares would do something when shot giving the player a reason to try to hit the yellow without hitting the others. Maybe they could fire back, or get bigger?

On a totally different note, what's up with the god awful weeaboo music?
Yea, I plan on adding new types of enemies to other games I make. This one was just a small test so I didn't want to do anything too complex. But that idea seems great, surely there are a few hidden nice mechanics to be found!

Also, I really like god awful weeaboo music.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

adnzzzzZ wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Very nice. Very hard though. And the controls are fine. The Binding of Isaac uses the exact same control scheme. Somehow when you need to move and shoot in four directions independently it works for me. But if I need to just move, I prefer to have the arrows be my movement. Weird. But it works.
I'm very inspired by The Binding of Isaac! It's pretty great you could recognize that. But I don't follow what you meant when you said move and shoot in four directions independently... I could give you an option to change movement to the arrow keys, but then you'd be shooting with AWSD, is that what you meant?
No, your controls are fine. I actually tried the Lefty Flip option in the Binding update and couldn't get used to using WSAD for shooting and arrows for movement. So I kept it the default. Which is the same way you have it now.

But if I am ever playing a game where it's directional but the shooting is not, I prefer to use the arrows for movement. It's probably just me though. It doesn't apply to your game.