HelloColor

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

HelloColor

Post by TylertheDesigner »

Hello Color started as a tutorial for a friend, teaching him Lua + LOVE. However, after the tutorial session, I began tweaking the code, and came up with this simple prototype. The goal of the game is to find the circle matching the background color. The game ends when you have cleared all the circles. The total circles is based on the starting game resolution.

Enjoy!
Attachments
HelloColor.love
(25.89 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: HelloColor

Post by Robin »

It's pretty late at night, so I don't have much time to try it out, but I have one piece of criticism that applies to your other games posted as well: please use love.keypressed rather than love.keyboard.isDown, because it is rather annoying when I tap a key once and it treats it like > 1.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Robin wrote:It's pretty late at night, so I don't have much time to try it out, but I have one piece of criticism that applies to your other games posted as well: please use love.keypressed rather than love.keyboard.isDown, because it is rather annoying when I tap a key once and it treats it like > 1.
I second that change in all of your games so far it is rather annoying.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
TylertheDesigner
Citizen

Post by TylertheDesigner »

Robin wrote:It's pretty late at night, so I don't have much time to try it out, but I have one piece of criticism that applies to your other games posted as well: please use love.keypressed rather than love.keyboard.isDown, because it is rather annoying when I tap a key once and it treats it like > 1.
The problem I have with that (and I hope you guys can offer solutions) is that when its love.keypressed and you already have another key held, it stops detecting that key. In some of the games I have made, I set separate booleans for the keys (Player1.upKeyIsDown, etc).

Is there another way I can resolve this issue?

Thanks for the feedback!
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

TylertheDesigner wrote:
The problem I have with that (and I hope you guys can offer solutions) is that when its love.keypressed and you already have another key held, it stops detecting that key. In some of the games I have made, I set separate booleans for the keys (Player1.upKeyIsDown, etc).

Thanks for the feedback!
to a maybe do a double check like

Code: Select all

if Player1.upKeyIsDown and Player1.upKeyIsDown then
maybe not sure if love would let you do this?
Sir Kittenface

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

crow wrote:
TylertheDesigner wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!
to a maybe do a double check like

if Player1.upKeyIsDown and Player1.upKeyIsDown then
maybe not sure if love would let you do this?
That would work, yeah. This is what I currently use for the player in my game, Kurosuke:

local left = love.keyboard.isDown(self.key.left) or joystick.pressed[self.key.left]
	local right = love.keyboard.isDown(self.key.right) or joystick.pressed[self.key.right]
	if right and not left then
		ent.actor.avatar[self.id].direction = 1
		ent.actor.avatar[self.id]:run()
	elseif left and not right then
		ent.actor.avatar[self.id].direction = -1
		ent.actor.avatar[self.id]:run()
	end
There's some extra code in there that you wouldn't need (such as my joystick code), but you get the idea.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

I personally solve that problem by using vectors.

It looks something like this:

moveBy = Vector(0, 0)
if isDown("right") then
  moveBy = moveBy + Vector(1, 0)
end
if isDown("down") then
  moveBy = moveBy + Vector(0, 1)
end
if isDown("left") then
  moveBy = moveBy - Vector(1, 0)
end
if isDown("up") then
  moveBy = moveBy - Vector(0, 1)
end
player:move(moveBy * player.speed * dt)
This also makes it super easy to implement joystick input. Just replace all those if statements with:

moveBy = Vector(love.joystick.getAxis(0), love.joystick.getAxis(1)) -- or something similar
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Is vectors a love function ? or a lua module?
Sir Kittenface

thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

There are several implementations, I can recommend the Vector "class" in vrld's HUMP library.