Ravag3Ritual LFG need a programmer

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Ravag3Ritual LFG need a programmer

Post by Robin »

Ravag3 wrote:Oh no... Firstly allow me to appologise for tge act of 'Trolling' ...I'm not sure what that means but I hate trolls so I will try very hard not to be one in the future.
I don't think anyone thought you were trolling. Naive and overly ambitious, yes, but a troll, no.
Ravag3 wrote:The main idea should be pretty easy so let's start with that. The main thing that I want is a game based on collecting information and then putting it to use, say to craft items or get to a secret place...most games are mindless hacking and slashing I want this to be better. Make our users think and invest time to play. So our characters start out all but naked with no skills or stats. They can't do much at lvl 1 except noon quests which will unlock different attributes ( strenght dexterity and the like) and skills. They get to start the game with a small digital memory unit. This unit is the crutial part of character development. Players will have to obtain letters to form into words before they can use a skill. So if you wanted to hit an enemy the player would have to find the letters 'h' 'i' and 't' to input into their memory unit and if that word is in the game dictionary that user will unlock a skill or improve the chance of success for that skill...
Ideas are nice and all, but they are to games what short plot summaries are to novels and movies.

If you want to make a game based on your own ideas, you'll have to be:
  1. Insanely rich, and pay programmers and artists and so on in advance.
  2. Have great programming and/or artistic skills (preferably both), so you can pull it off by yourself (or at least a large part of it).
Edit: 2500 posts!
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Ravag3
Prole

Post by Ravag3 »

Well since I do not have any of the programming skills required it looks like I will have to go the route of insanely rich X.x' so then what should I just start asking programmers if I can pay them? It seems like the only responses I am getting from the community is that my dreams wont happen...not very easily anyhow.
Well then I guess are any of you up for the challenge?

Thanks for your time....
Follow the ritual
http://ravag3.blogspot.com/
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Programming a game can take a tremendous amount of time and effort. Even more so for a multiplayer game, and more so than that for an MMO-style one. Ideas are useful, but implementing an idea is the hard part by far, plus for an MMO you need a lot of money. I'll give the same advice (19:25) given by the CEO of a 3-4 person company who made (and are still patching and creating content for) an MMORPG: don't do it. They were very lucky, and are barely feeding themselves with their income as-is.

Some of the earlier parts of the video might be interesting to you as well, he talks about how difficult it was for his company to get their game out there.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Ravag3 wrote:It seems like the only responses I am getting from the community is that my dreams wont happen...not very easily anyhow.
If it were easy to realise, it wouldn't be much of a dream, would it? ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Ravag3
Prole

Post by Ravag3 »

Well it seems there are plenty of people close to me who believe in the project...now all I have to do is outsource the project to India and get some work done...I figure the first place to start is with a world however I will need to talk with my AOI team to see what engine we will use. I was hoping for a free open source engine like LOVE with a rich forum for troubleshooting all possible problems.

So I have completed an outline for my game on the Ravage blog so check it out and let me know the best way to have like 4 or 5 different land types. What can I expect out of an engine like LOVE....can I have forests, mountains, caves....oceans, deserts? things like that?

In my free time to fund this project I pick up bottles and cans to put into a savings account...I also strip scrap copper to slowly make enough money to get this project off the ground...I will achieve greatness in this lifetime I just hope some of you will come with me for the journey.
Follow the ritual
dresb
Prole

Post by dresb »

LÖVE for the client (graphics, physics, etc., what the player sees) will be fine. But unless you want to drop the Massive from MMORPG you will need an experienced C or C++ programmer for the server-side programming (the hardest part of any MMO) which entails networking, character state/position/activity tracking for both PCs and NPCs, along with item tracking, abuse prevention, etc., all of which needs to be as close to real time as possible. Expensive in both programmer and hardware terms, keep in mind players will be constantly trying to exploit server side weakness so the work will never end.

I advice you to make the very same game single player, entirely in LÖVE/Lua before even thinking of going the MMO route.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Ravag3 wrote:can I have forests, mountains, caves....oceans, deserts? things like that?
You can certainly have that, as long as it's all 2D (you can have parallax scrolling and other 2D illusions of course).

As dresb said, you'll need a jolly good C/C++ programmer to do the server. You could also do the server in Java, which is an easier language; but some speed will be sacrificed, which is never good with such a demanding game as an MMO.
dresb wrote:I advice you to make the very same game single player, entirely in LÖVE/Lua before even thinking of going the MMO route.
That might work, but when the conversion to MMO goes underway, there will be tonnes of things you have to change, and you may run the risk of breaking something or making the game less stable. So it's really a bit of a toss up, there's good and bad either way. I would suggest making a single player prototype (for a game like this, prototypes are a must), demonstrating gameplay concepts and the like. Then if you're up for it, go on to the full game.
Ravag3
Prole

Post by Ravag3 »

Thank you all for the comments and advice. I have found a development team who is willing to work with on this game development...My blog has a good amount of detail about the game but I have not gotten to "gameplay" exactly...every day I want this to happen more and more so I think I will defiantly take the advice and get a prototype available for investors to see and possibly jump on board at that point...I guess the next thing to do is get some of these items drawn up in real life so they can be transferred into a 2D world.

http://ravag3.blogspot.com/p/ravage-ritual-game.html
Ravage Ritual The Game is going to happen! :joker:
Follow the ritual
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Good luck then. :)
Ravag3
Prole

Post by Ravag3 »

I have come up with the first try on character development...I think I have done a pretty good job, but feedback from potential users is more important...check it out

http://ravag3.blogspot.com/p/character-development.html

Thank you all for your time and patience and I grow and learn how to develop a kingdom out of a dime and a dream
Follow the ritual