A game about growing plants (beta 6 released!)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.

Beta 5: What should be worked on now?

Polish the 'Perfect Plant' mode
58%
Add an options menu
33%
Improve graphics and sound
8%
Something else (please explain)
No votes

Total votes: 12

Robin
The Omniscient

Re: A game about growing plants (beta 3 released)

Post by Robin »

The menu is pretty hard to read, but I <3 Space.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

nevon wrote:you get access to more information about the trees (like, right-click → see some representation of the selected tree's genes)
I'm not planning on ever adding a feature like that. If I've coded it well enough, you won't /need/ some lame bargraph or something - just looking at the tree itself will let you see what genes it has. Is it big? Is it colorful? Does it have flowers? Are the flowers blue?... Do you really need any more representation than that?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Taehl wrote:
nevon wrote:you get access to more information about the trees (like, right-click → see some representation of the selected tree's genes)
I'm not planning on ever adding a feature like that. If I've coded it well enough, you won't /need/ some lame bargraph or something - just looking at the tree itself will let you see what genes it has. Is it big? Is it colorful? Does it have flowers? Are the flowers blue?... Do you really need any more representation than that?
I'm a statistics geek, so I hate it when games rely on me making smart choices without giving me detailed information. :3 But you're right. If it's done well, you should be able to see what "stats" it has just by looking at the tree itself. I imagine most people would even prefer it that way.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Taehl wrote:
Your game does not use perspective, right? As in, a plant nearer the top of the screen is not considered further away and scaled down, right? I'm thinking that people might be breeding for size and get confused when plants which are not side by side.

Perhaps a happy compromise would be a "tunnel-vision" feature: let a player bring one or two plants up close to the screen, side by side, on a blank white background. That way the player can examine their plants as they are, without being exposed to the actual numbers behind them.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

I think adding perspective would be more confusing than it is now. Plants would be bigger or smaller with no relation to their size gene!
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Exactly, I was confirming that you don't do that (because it would detract from the game).
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

New version! Not very different on the gameplay front, but now it has basic sounds and a bit of music (including dynamic changes for Survival). As usual, get it here.
nevon

Re: A game about growing plants (beta 4 released)

Post by nevon »

So, I posted a screenshot from your game on a forum I moderate, just as an example image to see if the 'attach image' function was working (because it had been reported as not working). Now that image is the avatar of an annoying sixteen year-old girl. Neat, huh? ;)
Gfj53.png
Gfj53.png (39.33 KiB) Viewed 212 times
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

haha, has she tried the game ??
Dull but sincere filler.
nevon

Post by nevon »

StoneCrow wrote:haha, has she tried the game ??
Nope. ^^