How to make browser plugins

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
gert7
Prole

How to make browser plugins

Post by gert7 »

Browser plugins are set aside from browser add-ons, in the form that they run applications in the browser. The difference is visible as Firefox has thousands of add-ons, but only around 6-8 plugins. Plugins, i.e. actual software running in the browser, not in Flash or Silverlight.

NPAPI

Designed for Netscape, it was intended for obvious plugins, and has since seen its glory in most major broswers, despite its removal from IE5.5 and further. NPAPI uses DLLs and is supported by Mozilla, Chrome, Netscape's cold dead insides, Opera, Safari and more. Mozilla only uses (or recommends) the npruntime interface. More information on NPAPI can be found on Mozilla DN.

NPAPI DLLs are to be added to a plugins folder, such as Mozilla Firefox\plugins. Firefox plugin developers can download the Gecko SDK with its source files. The Firefox Add-ons website allows you to submit the plugin and it can be downloaded through the site as any other add-on.

ActiveX

Used solely by the interrogative Internet Exploder, and is exclusively used by such, as coding NPAPI for it is pointless and trying it for Open Source browsers is beta. ActiveX is more down-to-the-grass with coding, allowing C++, Delphi and Visual Basic. ActiveX uses COM and OLE and its most common use is writing plugins for IE (of course). However, ActiveX has proven to be harmful and Microsoft has created a list of restricted commands for IE in that sense.

ActiveX, like NPAPI, is used by all plugins, including Flash, Shockwave, Java, though their constructions vary greatly (e.g. Java runs in a virtual machine).

A while ago, ActiveX forced a 5-pixel checkerboard border around it's ActiveX controls (in-browser apps) and the user would have to click on the app square to "Activate the ActiveX control", to prevent any unwanted interaction - for example, any Flash apps.

{Server > Server hosts mainframe > Connects to individual Lövenet mainframe < [LÖVE] > App > Socket > love.cloud > Server}

And you have Steamgregate.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: How to make browser plugins

Post by bartbes »

Now tell me what use this topic has.
gert7
Prole

Post by gert7 »

bartbes wrote:Now tell me what use this topic has.
None. My work here is done.

{Server > Server hosts mainframe > Connects to individual Lövenet mainframe < [LÖVE] > App > Socket > love.cloud > Server}

Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I am annoyed, I am very annoyed.
gert7
Prole

Post by gert7 »

bartbes wrote:I am annoyed, I am very annoyed.
Don't be. Start coding :nyu:

bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Now I'm offended too, locking the topic. Also, read the forums for once.