Which modules need better docs?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Which module docs need more love?

love.audio and love.sound
14%
love.event
5%
love.filesystem
18%
love.graphics
9%
love.image
9%
love.joystick
5%
love.keyboard
No votes
love.mouse
No votes
love.physics
41%
love.timer
No votes

Total votes: 22

pekka
Party member

Which modules need better docs?

Post by pekka »

Filling out this poll will help people decide what part of the documentation to work on, should they be so inclined. Since you can only have ten options in the poll, I decided to put the audio and sound modules together, because the two are rather closely connected. This was a bit arbitrary, but since you can vote for multiple entries, it shouldn't make much of a difference. You can in fact vote for every entry, but that is pretty much the same as voting for none of them, as far as relative differences between the entries go :)

I also enabled to option that allows you to change your votes at any time. This might be useful in case someone actually goes ahead an improves the docs as a result of this poll!

You may also post your ideas about the ways to most effectively improve the documentation. That is, tell us, what would you like to see in the documentation. Remember, though, that tutorials also exist or can be written.
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Re: Which modules need better docs?

Post by Felipe Budinich »

I think that filesystem and physics could use better docs (they are good at the moment, but some examples would be nice).

I would löve to elaborate, but right now i'm busy hating the guts of the guy responsible for internet explorer 6, and the broken box model on IE7 and 8.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Physics and filesystem both could use some elaboration. I also added sound/audio, because I think it may confuse a lot of people that you can only play a sound once (until that sound is stopped, that is). So maybe there there should be something written about that, and perhaps a tutorial on how to set up a sound queue could be in order.
Felipe Budinich wrote:I would löve to elaborate, but right now i'm busy hating the guts of the guy responsible for internet explorer 6, and the broken box model on IE7 and 8.
See, that's why I stopped working as a web developer/designer. Now whenever I do web stuff I can focus 100% on making IE users' internet experience the worst it could possibly be.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Felipe Budinich wrote:I would löve to elaborate, but right now i'm busy hating the guts of the guy responsible for internet explorer 6, and the broken box model on IE7 and 8.
You are using a reset stylesheet and a javascript unification library, right?

(Totally off-topic, I know, sorry)
When I write def I mean function.
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

I would really like to help improve the love.physics documentation -- most of the time I just use the box2d documentation -- but the wiki does not accept my password :(
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

kikito wrote:You are using a reset stylesheet and a javascript unification library, right?
Yes i'm aware of those, my first problem was to fix my predecessor's mess (already done 90% of that), but the real problem is that the client specs have nothing to do with what they really need, so since they are going to pay me a monthly fee to maintain the site, i added my own set of specs and fell into the "building the space shuttle" trap.

But i'm not in trouble because my space shuttle did not work on decent browsers, FF, Opera, Chrome... it was awesome. On IE7 and 8, not so awesome but still works... i just that i tend to forget that i live in a third world country and people still use IE6 (A LOT). So yea, i'm working on it :-p
nevon wrote:Now whenever I do web stuff I can focus 100% on making IE users' internet experience the worst it could possibly be.
I wish i could have the hacker powers that you see on the movies, and make their computer explode... but they are my client's customers. But yeah, from now on, my personal sites are going to break on purpose if people are using IE. (I swear i'll make a script that replaces all the instances of "yes" for "no", "and" for "or" so they get the complete wrong idea after reading my site).

Back on topic:

I thought on a simple improvement for love.graphics.setColor().

When i was doing my first tests, I did the usual, tried to do a "Hello world", then i tried to write "Hello" in one color and "World" in another and then I struck against a brickwall.

I tried to do:

Code: Select all

function love.draw()
   love.graphics.print('Hello', 400, 300)
   love.graphics.setColor(255, 0, 255)
   love.graphics.print('World!'), 400, 316)
end
And i got completely confused because "Hello" was the same color as "World!". I had no idea that once you set the color, it does not automagically reset to the default, so I spent a good couple of hours trying to understand, and then ignoring the issue :-p

So it would be as simple as adding "love.graphics.setColor() does not reset to love.graphics.setColor(255,255,255,255) after the game loop" somewhere. I know it sounds retarded, but for a complete noob like myself, that chose LÖVE because of it's simplicity after reading how to do the usual "hello world!", it was absolutely confusing, and ignored it because I thought that I was going to be using sprites anyway, so it only came back to haunt me when i decided to do a fading logo.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Felipe Budinich wrote:So it would be as simple as adding "love.graphics.setColor() does not reset to love.graphics.setColor(255,255,255,255) after the game loop" somewhere. I know it sounds retarded, but for a complete noob like myself, that chose LÖVE because of it's simplicity after reading how to do the usual "hello world!", it was absolutely confusing, and ignored it because I thought that I was going to be using sprites anyway, so it only came back to haunt me when i decided to do a fading logo.
The problem with resetting is if you want to use another color than white throughout the game.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Robin wrote:The problem with resetting is if you want to use another color than white throughout the game.
I know that now :crazy: but it still was utterly confusing... on the other hand, it could be used to make a really simple tutorial to show a complete noob (like myself) how game loops work :awesome:
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Good call.
Help us help you: attach a .love.