Ghost Hotel, a platformer [build 0519]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Gnx
Prole

Ghost Hotel, a platformer [build 0519]

Post by Gnx »

UPDATE 0519:
*graphics for level 3
* "c" will show credits
*small fixes
*does not appear to run on linux well/if at all

UPDATE 0516:
*another small update, more proper screens, highlights for objects etc.
* "p" will now pause the game and bring up a help screen

UPDATE 0514:
*added 2 powerups, jump and hourglass; jump gives you 7 seconds of extra high jumps and hourglass tops your time with 10 seconds
*added a HUD
*there's a stage 3 thats very beta with no gfx
*added new music that plays or doesn't play according to love.audio's feelings
*lots of small fixes to everything

UPDATE 0504:
* new enemy: roaming ghosts (starting on stage 2)
* new weird performance issues in zoomed out mode
* new version of the music

UPDATE 0430:
* added stage progression
* only 2 slightly different stages though
* it probably crashes when you reach stage 8, but so far it seems only about 4,5 is humanly possible to reach (you get less and less time on each stage)
----------------

It's a game about a butler called Winston, who has to deliver baggage to ghosts to keep them from ..taking over the world or something.
The exceptionally bright may be able to figure out the relationship with the variously colored doors and bags, and a timer thats running down :)
There's also a moody elevator, possessed furniture and a disturbing bleeding statue!

Controls: arrow keys, enter, "r" for resetting and "z" for camera-toggle

Some things of note:

* the bastard is really resource-hungry because I didn't do any optimization yet
* this is a school course project with a 4 people team, of which I am the designated "programmer"
* this means I can't give you the permission to use any of the art or characters, because I didn't make them :)(I've included a license draft in the .love if anyone cares about such things)
* the game is unfinished, but I felt it already made enough sense to be shown to the community here '
* there's some random generating with the objects and enemies so occasionally you will get hard-impossible levels, enjoy.

Thanks #loveclub for some programming support, but mostly for disturbing and at times illegal conversation topics.

Download link:
http://users.metropolia.fi/~m0601309/lo ... hotel.love
Last edited by Gnx on Sat May 22, 2010 12:59 am, edited 8 times in total.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Ghost Hotel, a platformer

Post by nevon »

The game looks A LOT better when you're zoomed in. The game screen just isn't large enough to show the details of the artwork.

I have to say, the music, the art, the feel of it, it all seems very well made. However, it's quite easy to see that it's a work in progress. I managed to segfault it a couple of times by jumping onto the roof of the elevator. I also don't get what you're supposed to do...

EDIT: Uhm, now I segfault every time I get into the elevator.
Gnx
Prole

Post by Gnx »

nevon wrote:The game looks A LOT better when you're zoomed in. The game screen just isn't large enough to show the details of the artwork.

I have to say, the music, the art, the feel of it, it all seems very well made. However, it's quite easy to see that it's a work in progress. I managed to segfault it a couple of times by jumping onto the roof of the elevator. I also don't get what you're supposed to do...
Just on the roof? I had a major crash bug with the elevator earlier, but I thought I squashed it :)
The objective (in the design document anyway) is to take the bags that appear on the first floor to the approriately colored door above before the time runs out.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Got stuck :(
Thursdaybloom
Citizen

Post by Thursdaybloom »

Downloading (slowly) now. This is bound to be epic
Gnx wrote: Thanks #loveclub [...] mostly for disturbing and at times illegal conversation topics.
I miss my #loveclub :cry:
scirath
Citizen

Post by scirath »

I like it!

Strangely, though, I can't seem to find the elevator if I'm not in zoomed mode.
(USER MIGHT BE BANNED FOR THIS POST.)
Gnx
Prole

Re: Ghost Hotel, a platformer [build 0504]

Post by Gnx »

Update bump :)
Gnx
Prole

Re: Ghost Hotel, a platformer [build 0514]

Post by Gnx »

bump! for the 0514