Try Love in your Browser

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Almost
Prole

Re: Try Love in your Browser

Post by Almost »

This is cool, although it's not very useful until it has a lot of features. In particular, the graphics functions for drawing things other than rectangles (polygons, circles, and lines come to mind)

Also, the ability to work over multiple "files" or samples or whatever you want to call them. Some way to establish a sense of order.

It's probably not up to you, but newImage isn't convenient if you have to link to an image that is externally hosted on the web. A way to display images that are on the local machine would be nice. (Or maybe I missed something about how image sources work in this case?) If I could set a filepath to a folder on my machine and have it load images in that folder by their filenames, I would be happy.

Again, probably not something you can change, but being unable to press tab for indentation is annoying me. (It moves the focus out of the typing region). I guess if I type in a text editor and copy paste into this it works.
snake
Citizen

Post by snake »

Almost wrote:This is cool, although it's not very useful until it has a lot of features. In particular, the graphics functions for drawing things other than rectangles (polygons, circles, and lines come to mind)
Yeah this will be added of course.
(but you can basically do everything with rectangles even lines and circles you just have to write more code, so it has not high priority for me)
Almost wrote: Also, the ability to work over multiple "files" or samples or whatever you want to call them. Some way to establish a sense of order.
You can when doing stand-alone games.
(But not in the Love way so I have still to add something like love.filesystem)
I don´t think that the sample Browser is good for doing projects that require more than one file.
It is more for showing what Love-Alchemy is and rapid-prototyping.
Almost wrote: It's probably not up to you, but newImage isn't convenient if you have to link to an image that is externally hosted on the web. A way to display images that are on the local machine would be nice. (Or maybe I missed something about how image sources work in this case?) If I could set a filepath to a folder on my machine and have it load images in that folder by their filenames, I would be happy.
I have not tested it but you can include images in your flash file when doing a stand-alone game. (So they are included in the compiled flash file)
Well I don't think you want Flash games to be able to access all you data on your local machine so there are some security restrictions from Adobe.
Almost wrote: Again, probably not something you can change, but being unable to press tab for indentation is annoying me. (It moves the focus out of the typing region). I guess if I type in a text editor and copy paste into this it works.
Yeah it is horrible but was coding or text editing in an Browser ever fun?
I sometimes think if I should try to make it a bit less horrible like with adding syntax highlighting but then again i fear people might get the idea to use it for real work. :vamp:

Thanks for the input. ;)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Pastebin supports tabs.
snake
Citizen

Post by snake »

bartbes wrote:Pastebin supports tabs.
Pastebin doesn't use Flash, does it?

Oh and speaking of pastebin it would be cool if the example browser could load lua file from the Web (like from pastebin).
Like doing SiteOfLoveAlchemy.org/load=http://pastebin.com/Foo
So small demos could be shared easy.
I think it is possible but i am not sure how to do it, will have to read evil Adobe docs. :(
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

That would be nice with Gists, too.

But on the topic of LÖVE-in-the-browser: wouldn't JavaScript + Canvas or WebGL be a better choice?

Not sure how we could use Lua then (is there a JavaScript Lua interpreter?), but it would be awesome, and a lot lighter than Flash. (Also: freeeeee!)

Disclaimer: this post might not make sense. I need to go to bed, ASAP. Or, well, right now.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
snake
Citizen

Post by snake »

Robin wrote: But on the topic of LÖVE-in-the-browser: wouldn't JavaScript + Canvas or WebGL be a better choice?
Not sure how we could use Lua then (is there a JavaScript Lua interpreter?), but it would be awesome, and a lot lighter than Flash. (Also: freeeeee!)
There is no Lua Interpreter written in JavaScript i know about.
Also JS is very slow.
The solution would be that Browser could run Lua.
See my evil replace JS with Lua master plan one page before.
But this is an long therm project.
For now we have to live with Adobe shit.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

JavaScript in Safari is pretty fast. Chrome slightly less fast. But still, fast. Not Löve fast, but relatively fast.
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

hmm, firefox and all these things understand java because it is on your system no?
isnt there a way to put a game file in a webpage and then have love load it and embed into the appropriate place on the page
Dull but sincere filler.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

StoneCrow wrote:hmm, firefox and all these things understand java because it is on your system no?
They don't understand Java. They can run JavaScript, which is something else entirely, because it is built-in those web browsers.
StoneCrow wrote:isnt there a way to put a game file in a webpage and then have love load it and embed into the appropriate place on the page
You'd need to write a browser plug-in for that. There has been talk about it, but so far no-one has taken up the challenge.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

It'd be better to not require users to install new stuff, but a plugin might work much faster. Hm...
Good bye.