Request: Love Logos.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rude
Administrator

Re: Request: Love Logos.

Post by rude »

Yes, I changed the "worst" parts of ZLIB into something more fitting (software -> graphics/artwork), but consider this:
ZLIB License wrote: In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this artwork.
Damages from artwork? :death:

The main reason, however is this: I do not want people to be able to use it commercially. I plan on setting up a store (eventually), and do not want people pumping out LÖVE t-shirts.

So, qubodup, what's wrong with cc-by-nc?
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

qubodup wrote:You set the logo license on the homepage to cc-by-nc... would you mind setting it back to that zlicense-svg mix thing or use the original zlib license? pleeeeeeze?
Why? Is it really that important?
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

rude wrote:Yes, I changed the "worst" parts of ZLIB into something more fitting (software -> graphics/artwork), but consider this:
ZLIB License wrote: In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this artwork.
Damages from artwork? :death:
Did you read any cc license, mr smartypants? :P They have the same stuff (you know... down there...)
rude wrote:The main reason, however is this: I do not want people to be able to use it commercially. I plan on setting up a store (eventually), and do not want people pumping out LÖVE t-shirts.

So, qubodup, what's wrong with cc-by-nc?
Open source projects (which want to be 100% clean) and commercial projects (except you make an exception for those) are not able to use your icon.

Hm. LOVE is pretty cool, but people won't create fake t-shirts. An alternative would be using FDL as license - it would require the license to be printed with the object on the t-shirt (unless you, the copyright holder do it). ^^ Well ok, having a note and attaching the license would probably be enough to satisfy the fdl, but it still would differ from what zlib would make you do (nothing I think).

In any case: Provide a low-rez variant (at least up to 256px) for use with executables under a license that commercial and open source projects can use.
mike wrote:
qubodup wrote:You set the logo license on the homepage to cc-by-nc... would you mind setting it back to that zlicense-svg mix thing or use the original zlib license? pleeeeeeze?
Why? Is it really that important?
Well :| from a sane, non open source-freak point of viev: probably not...
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

qubodup wrote:Did you read any cc license, mr smartypants? They have the same stuff (you know... down there...)
GAH. I thought this was the entire license.
qubodup wrote:Hm. LOVE is pretty cool, but people won't create fake t-shirts.
No probably not, and I will probably never use the LÖVE itself logo on a t-shirt anyway.

Maybe I'll make a *CUSTOM NON-OSI-APPROVED LICENSE* (The Horror!) Aaaaaahawhahahahahahhahhahaha :halloween:

(I don't want to un-CC the files, but I did add some more info on /stuff which may (or may not) satisfy you).
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

CC's non-commercial clause is kinda tricky. You can't for example, use that logo in a website that displays paid Ads. While I whole-earthedly agree that those who annoy their visitors with banners deserve no love whatsoever, one should be free to give credit to the engine even on commercial projects.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Merkoth wrote:You can't for example, use that logo in a website that displays paid Ads.
Shit. Ok, I guess the license must be changed. Is there no license which specifies that artwork may be used for any purpose digitally, but not for "physical" purposes?
Merkoth wrote:those who annoy their visitors with banners deserve no love whatsoever
Heh. I've been considering adding ads here lately. Google text ads, though, not banner ads. You guys don't mind that, do you? It's for a good cause after all. :neko:
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Don't worry about YOUR rights. YOU keep ALL rights over the logos. Others however are restricted by the license. This means that you can use the logos for whatever you want to. Including ads and t-shirts.
rude wrote: Shit. Ok, I guess the license must be changed. Is there no license which specifies that artwork may be used for any purpose digitally, but not for "physical" purposes?
If you have to be paranoid about it, just write a custom license. :ehem: (this is my honest recommendation. write something like "you may use the logo for icons and for crediting love, but not for promotion or direct profit (eg t-shirts or stickers)" ...
(Note that the application icons are packaged with some of the binary distributions in the form of .ico-files. These .ico files are licensed under ZLIB like the rest of the software. The same applies to artwork embedded in the LÖVE binary itself).
This is kind of fine* and will totally make me shut the f*** up :)

*last bit of bitching: fine != superb

PS: When playing with licenses, please keep the source packages (or whatever is of most interest to people who want to create packages for gnulix distributions) fsf/osi-free.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

qubodup wrote:Don't worry about YOUR rights. YOU keep ALL rights over the logos. Others however are restricted by the license. This means that you can use the logos for whatever you want to. Including ads and t-shirts.
I know that. I know I ask you about licensing and stuff, but come on. :death:

Fuck it, I'm re-ZLIB'ing the logos. :joker: