Hate: In love with C

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Hate: In love with C

Post by Robin »

Zorbatron wrote:Although think about it, if you had to choose between this C compiler coming first, or the vertex buffers and batch sprite rendering, which would you choose?
OK, I think you're right. Although I also think they will work a lot faster if they implement things they are enthusiastic about first. ;) (At least, that's how it always works with me...)

Now, let the on-topic posting commence!
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Zorbatron
Citizen

Post by Zorbatron »

Robin wrote:
Zorbatron wrote:Although think about it, if you had to choose between this C compiler coming first, or the vertex buffers and batch sprite rendering, which would you choose?
OK, I think you're right. Although I also think they will work a lot faster if they implement things they are enthusiastic about first. ;) (At least, that's how it always works with me...)

Now, let the on-topic posting commence!
I see what you're saying, I guess the things that motivate me differ from what motivates them. See, I always have a list of things that I want to do, and I compare which ones I will likley use the most and could benifit the greatest from. Even if they are both interesting, if I work on something I feel won't be used I loose motivation. But, that's just me.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well, you're kind of too late anyway, it's already implemented at a level which is planned for 0.6, and don't worry, the other work will get done as well. Please let rude do what he wants, he might just get crazy, like those internet addicts (that's a joke, I thought I should tell you guys that, I don't want another page...)
Just don't worry, important things get done, and fun things get done too.

Oh and robin, you sure your English teacher said that? You might want to go back to him and say "You SHOULD have taught me the right stuff!" :P

Anyway, back on-topic, as rude said.. I believe in this very topic, the implementation planned for 0.6 (but plans change, don't pin me on that) is not going to be very useful. (however, I already proved to him you can do more than he expected)

(And I like to write as much () as possible :megagrin:)
Zorbatron
Citizen

Post by Zorbatron »

I really wouldn't care about love.native if it weren't for this quote taken from the 0.6.0 upcoming features page.
wiki wrote: Vertex buffers are finished, but I might have to redo it. The reason is the introduction of love.native, and abstraction over OpenGL and Direct3D. I may choose to not release this in 0.6.0, it will become important, and so it needs to integrate nicely with everything.
And are you sure the preformance drop is not worth noting? A millisecond or so might not be too bad, but 5-10 ms would be catastrophic, after all it is the main loop, your game is limited by how fast that loop can run.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Whoa. This thread is epic.

Yeah, he's totally sure.

In the current version, the main loop (in C) has to call into Lua all the time anyway, so I doubt there is a performance drop.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

And Lua is damn fast anyway. It could have been worse. Imagine, as we speak, hundreds (thousands? millions?) of people are writing excellent (and some not so excellent) games, with the main loop entirely in a not-to-be-mentioned language (hint: it's not named after a snake), that is not quite as fast as Lua.
Help us help you: attach a .love.