Love Game Maker

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Radfordhound
Prole

Re: Love Game Maker

Post by Radfordhound »

bobbyjones wrote:I think a better question will be who will contribute if you start it using a certain method
Yeah, that definitely is a good question. :3 Though as long as I make it in Lua, I think we'll get a lot of contributors considering they already know the language. ;) I'd personally prefer to make it in C# considering I can write a lot more fluently in it, but the idea of an editor being written in the same language as the engine is pretty darn good. What do you think? :)
bobbyjones wrote:I myself will be making something like a game maker with wxLua hopefully. I started playing with it now. But I have a lot to learn.
Best of luck to you and your project! :awesome:
SiENcE wrote:@Radfordhound: I think you missunderstood me :). I do not suggest to change or edit Godot. I suggest to use it as your GameMaker (but with lua and not Gscript).

The thing you have todo is to write the runtime code in lua for love2d (loading the godot scene files and implementing the most common api calls for 2d).
From what I understand, you're basically saying to not make an editor/IDE for love2d and instead use Godot, leaving me with the much smaller task of simply creating code to "convert" the godot-generated files to love2d files. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

If that's the case, I like the idea except for the fact that it leaves me/others un-able to change the way the editor looks/functions without downloading the source first (Or at least, that's my understanding of it. :P ), and while I absolutely love the design of godot just like I love the design of Unity, I had a much simpler design in mind for this project as I want kids to be able to easily use it and don't think they'll be able to use godot without a bit of explaining, which isn't ideal in this scenario.

I may very well be missing something (And probably am.), and if so please correct me! I hate to put false information out there and if godot really is perfect for this project, I'd love to know so I can use it as opposed to never using it due to me having the false info! Otherwise, however, I'd rather spend the time/effort required to make my own editor than use a project someone already made that isn't ideal simply because it's easier.

Thanks again for your suggestion and I'm sorry if I came off as a bit of a jerk. I really do appreciate your idea whether I can actually use it or not! ;)
OH NO!!!! It's the evil anti-coding language, C--!!! D:
arampl
Party member

Post by arampl »

Voted for using custom GUI because not even your editor will use it, but you can give game makers possibility to use this GUI system in their own games (if you'll implement skinning feature). Two birds with one rock.

More. You'll have control over progress of your own GUI library.

By the way, what format you are planning? XML, txt, pure Lua files? Possibility to export binary files to speed up loading process somehow?
Radfordhound
Prole

Post by Radfordhound »

arampl wrote:Voted for using custom GUI because not even your editor will use it, but you can give game makers possibility to use this GUI system in their own games (if you'll implement skinning feature). Two birds with one rock.

More. You'll have control over progress of your own GUI library.

By the way, what format you are planning? XML, txt, pure Lua files? Possibility to export binary files to speed up loading process somehow?
I was going for just plain old Lua files, although xml and txt are definitely great options! Probably txt (Or possibly even my own extension. :D) now that you mentioned it, seeing as that'd be much easier to use/"professional". :nyu:
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

SiENcE wrote:@Radfordhound: I think you missunderstood me :). I do not suggest to change or edit Godot. I suggest to use it as your GameMaker (but with lua and not Gscript).

The thing you have todo is to write the runtime code in lua for love2d (loading the godot scene files and implementing the most common api calls for 2d).
Now you are right. Yes indeed I suggest this, because I know how much work all this can be.

But of couse, if your target Audience are Kids, GoDot is 'maybe' to heavy. From this view I understand your aim to create your own much simpler GUI (more GameMaker oriented).

You still need to seperate Editor logic from runtime logic. I strongly suggest to take an proofed runtime logic and only write an Editor for it.

Good luck!
Radfordhound
Prole

Post by Radfordhound »

SiENcE wrote: Now you are right. Yes indeed I suggest this, because I know how much work all this can be.

But of couse, if your target Audience are Kids, GoDot is 'maybe' to heavy. From this view I understand your aim to create your own much simpler GUI (more GameMaker oriented).

You still need to seperate Editor logic from runtime logic. I strongly suggest to take an proofed runtime logic and only write an Editor for it.

Good luck!
Thanks! :awesome: I apologize for the confusion caused by my poor choice of wording. :oops:
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Its the 31st let's start programming Radfordhound.
Radfordhound
Prole

Post by Radfordhound »

bobbyjones wrote:Its the 31st let's start programming Radfordhound.
Sorry for not responding! (For some reason I didn't see your post even though I refreshed the page just a few hours ago! O.o)

The poll hasn't ended yet! ;) (Though trust me. We'll start coding. I'm waiting patiently in front of my PC till' midnight. :awesome: )

EDIT: YYEAAAAAHHH!!! LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!! https://github.com/Radfordhound/love2d- ... recreation
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Btw. did you saw this Overlap2d tool?

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/201 ... ource.aspx

A full blown Editor. Now just add a Love2D script Editor to it and write an Love2D runtime to load and play this levels.
arampl
Party member

Post by arampl »

SiENcE wrote:Btw. did you saw this Overlap2d tool?

A full blown Editor. Now just add a Love2D script Editor to it and write an Love2D runtime to load and play this levels.
Wonderful tool, indeed!
Radfordhound
Prole

Post by Radfordhound »

SiENcE wrote:Btw. did you saw this Overlap2d tool?

arampl wrote:Wonderful tool, indeed!
It's a marvelous tool! But, again, it's not what I'm going for. I want to have full control over the editor so I can design it in such a way that makes sense to kids (And not have to deal with any licensing, bugs that I didn't create, etc.). A kid shouldn't have to learn how to use a complex level editor just to attempt to animate a talking cat! (Or whatever the heck they come up with. |:P) They should be able to jump right in and use it without any force pushing them away! Sure, they'll have to learn SOMETHING. I don't intend to try and keep them from doing so! In fact, teaching kids how to code is what inspired the project in the first place! But that thing that they learn shouldn't have to be how to use the editor! It should be how to use Lua. And having a design perfect enough to make all this a reality just isn't going to happen without a custom editor/heavy modifications of a existing one! If I can't experiment with design without jumping through hoops trying to modify someone else's code... how am I going to create the "perfect" coding tool for children? It's already a very difficult feat on it's own! I don't want to be slowed down (Or end up with a sub-par product.) because I took the "easy way" out!

With that said, thanks for alerting me on the existence of this editor. It looks like another great project that I again was not aware of! And I appreciate you trying to keep me from having to make an editor on my own. But I'm up to the task! It really isn't that hard (With the help of a few external libraries, at least. I'm not writing my own GUI framework!) once you understand the language you're writing in, and the worst that'll happen is I'll drop the project, so it's not like it'll be the end of the world! ;)

On a side-note, development's going pretty well so far! In-case any of you don't know, development on the editor itself hasn't updated in a bit as it was halted in favor of the actual engine to work behind the editor (On top of LOVE.). Enter: Project Unique! The engine to be used in the future Lua re-design of LGM! :)

You can check out Project Unique here if you're interested: https://github.com/Radfordhound/Project-Unique. (Though keep in mind it's still a major WIP.) I've made a quick sample there to demonstrate the currently-available capabilities of the engine. As of now it's limited to simple creation and destruction of objects, and even that's done in a more "primitive" way than I'd like. But that's soon to change. (In fact, I just opened Visual Studio to start working on it now!) Thanks for stopping by! :awesome: