Mac version of my game for a Windows user

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Luiji
Party member

Re: Mac version of my game for a Windows user

Post by Luiji »

Jasoco wrote:There you go again with the FUD. Do you ever stop? For just a minute?
Female urination device?! (JK)

I have nothing against Mac OS X itself, and I'm just over-reacting to things that Apple does that I dislike. I still believe that Apple is lazy, but I don't believe that makes their software bad. I'm typing from an iPod Touch right now. Apple products are nice, but I still have issues with the way Apple handles things as a corporation, just the same as I have problems with Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony (liers), and many others.

I see that my "Apple-bashes" are being taken more as "Apple-attacks" I will discontinue them. I am sorry for the inconvieniences that I have caused.
Good bye.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Luiji wrote:<snip>OMFG BLABBER MORE</snip>
Can't you see something useful is going on in this thread that pertains to the title of it? We are making OSX distributions on Windows and vice versa.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Off Topic directed to Luiji:
Not inconveniences, just annoyances. We should be celebrating cross-platform love. Not quarreling over petty things. I disagree with some stuff Apple does too (Like how they won't let just anyone program for their iDevices instead requiring you to pay $100 a year to join a developer program and then their whole approval process. I think they should let anyone release an app, as long as they simply put an option on the device to allow it with a warning that "Apps from untrusted sources can be harmful, do you really want to continue?" like how Android and Palm do it. Pretty sure it's all a money thing. If anyone could release apps without the store, no one would use the store anymore.

I love Apple. They saved me from Microsoft's clutches at a time when things were shaky, and in my opinion they have pulled off the most epic comeback any company ever has. That includes Nintendo. (Who is also making quite a comeback this generation.) Steve Jobs is really a visionary man, and without him guiding Apple these past 12 years, who knows where technology might be right now? Like them or hate them, Apple has changed a lot of the way we do things. They may not always be the first to do something, but they're usually the first to do it right. It's like Apple looks at a technology and says "People aren't using this. We'll make it work well enough that people will want to." Not to mention that every time they release some new awesome gadget, all the reviewers say 'It will never catch on!" only to be proven wrong. It's funny to go back and look at old reviews of the original iPod, (Only 5GB? Mac only? IT WILL NEVER SURVIVE!) or the iMac. (What? No Floppy Disk? THIS WILL NEVER SELL!) And the iPhone and iPad.

I forgot about the icon. Hmm.. I dunno. I guess we'll still have to rely on a Windows machine to make working EXE's. I'm sure this'll all work out in time.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Well, making working exe's on OSX and Linux for Windows shouldn't be a problem, just changing the icon is. Changing the icon is even somewhat a problem for Windows users themselves.

LOVE runs on OSX, Linux, and Windows. Therefore all 3 of them are perfect in regards to what this forum should be talking about.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I notice that the Windows version has links to both an EXE setup version and a plain ZIP version. Why can't the OS X version have that too? Since the DMG only has the love.app inside it anyway. (And possibly examples? I forget, but the Windows version has examples.) That would be the most simple thing to do. Just host a DMG and a ZIP. Windows users could download the ZIP and follow our instructions easily.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

TechnoCat wrote:
Luiji wrote:<snip>OMFG BLABBER MORE</snip>
Can't you see something useful is going on in this thread that pertains to the title of it? We are making OSX distributions on Windows and vice versa.
Hey, that was me ending my derailing epidemic!

Oh no! You got me to do it again! You are an ENABLER!!!

Also, making EXEs for Windows from elsewhere is a lot easier if you use WINE. http://www.winehq.org/
Good bye.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Luiji wrote:Also, making EXEs for Windows from elsewhere is a lot easier if you use WINE. http://www.winehq.org/
No point, "cat" in a unix environment works just fine if not better. However, I guess it could help for modifying the icon. OSX users might want to check out darWine.
Last edited by TechnoCat on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

We just agreed on this, DMG+zip it is.

Btw, if there's any more flaming here I'll remove your post and send you an official warning.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Not flaming, not flaming... :3
Jasoco wrote:Apple makes Macs so that they are sure to work with OS X.
Wasn't Apple a hardware company? Because I thought the reason for all the lock-in was “gee, people running OS X is nice and all, but we really want them to buy our computers”.

Also, isn't this thread a bit... finished?
Help us help you: attach a .love.