Spellrazor (Free strategy-sh'mup-hacking) 0.9.10 is out

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Davidobot
Party member

Re: Spellrazor [Demo] - Rogue-lite meets Defender/Berzerk

Post by Davidobot »

First of all, I am honoured to be able to speak to someone of your caliber. The game really shows your years of expertise - it screams polish!

Secondly, you had quite a bit of double posts in the thread. There is no need to bump this thread so often as many of times, these forums are quite slow on the replies - a topic can stay on the front page of this forum for well over a month.

Thirdly, and this overlaps with my second point, please read the forum etiquette for queries on subjects such as double posting.

Otherwise, keep up the amazing work! :awesome:
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Davidobot wrote:Secondly, you had quite a bit of double posts in the thread. There is no need to bump this thread so often as many of times, these forums are quite slow on the replies - a topic can stay on the front page of this forum for well over a month.
Or, if you want to reply to more than one person, e.g. if they managed to sneak in a reply after you wrote yours for someone else, you can always edit your posts ;)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Madrayken
Party member

Post by Madrayken »

Thanks for the kind words and the pointers about double-posts. Genuinely wasn't trying to bump, just slightly spazzy and disorganised (and evidently ignored the 'take your time' suggestion). I'll keep an eye on it. This is a great community (I've been lurking for a while) and I appreciate the opportunity to add something to it.
Discord: https://discord.gg/tYfHgXc
Bandcamp: https://madrayken.bandcamp.com/
Twitter: @Fluttermind
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Wow. I couldn't get started with the game, the title music plus the fake 3d grid flythrough was too awesome!

https://youtu.be/N7WtM_It3-Y

I love the realtimelikeness. Only gave it a short peek yet:

https://youtu.be/reBf6d-9614

Awesome audio.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

Wow. Congrats on making a super dope game! I've gotten to level five (20,360 score) so far and I'm having a lot of fun. There's nothing like peeking into a room and letting off a bouncer, darting back out, and waiting until the bouncer takes out the unsuspecting mob. I love the aesthetics. As others have said, the controls are odd. I find myself dying because I'm looking down at the keys sometimes. But.. it makes sense with the backstory of the game and with what I feel like your target experience is. I'm excited to probe more of the secrets out of this game. Again, kudos and thank you for sharing.
Madrayken
Party member

Post by Madrayken »

Thanks for the compliments folks. Believe it or not, that's kind of the first 'tune' I've ever written - especially in that style. I mostly make weird dark-ambient noise stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/madrayken <-- If anyone wants to listen to the usual weirdness I produce.

@qubodup: How did you take that footage? All mine looks horrible...

As for the game, I'm really open to suggestions, so feel free to prod. I know the '27 fire buttons thing' is overwhelming, but I'm hoping the slowmo thing helps with that. I'd like try to fix the control weirdness by tweaking slowmo first.

My goal is to try and keep this feeling like a rogue-like, rather than just another 'move with WASD, fire toward the mouse, and choose the weapon you currently have ammo for' game.

The flow of the game should be:
"Hmm. I used X-ray to see through the walls. There are 3 Grunts in that room next door. Too risky. I'm going to go in with a Jump and take out the two by the nearest wall, and then use Zap to electrify the room. Crap. I have no Zap. I'll use Void to keep everything away and pick them off with arrows, then. Hope it doesn't run out on me.'

<Does jump. Room is revealed. Swordsman wanders in through the door.

"Oh god! Swordsman! Crapcrapcrap! Um... Portal to next level. NOW!"

If I made the slowmo more instant (gave you, say a 'panic' button) would that help?
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Madrayken wrote:@qubodup: How did you take that footage? All mine looks horrible...
How so?

On Linux I use https://github.com/qubodup/ogatools/blo ... pwin-pulse to record and then convert using

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "$1" -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 128k -c:v libx264 -b:v 4000k -threads 0 "${1%.mkv}.mp4"
on the following system:

Distro        4.2.2-1-ARCH x86_64
Mainboard     FOXCONN A7GM-S 2.0
CPU           AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor
              4 x 2200 MHz, 64-bit
RAM           7.8G
Video         Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
              Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750/8740 / R7 250E]
OpenGL        4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.0.3, GLSL 1.30
GCC           gcc (GCC) 5.2.0
I recommend openbroadcastersoftware on other platforms and if that's too slow, non-free-non-gratis fraps on windows.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I do pretty much the same thing, with alsa instead of pulse and on much lower specs. I also don't upload it to youtube, I've got a script that allows me to record, encode, upload to my server AND put a link to the video with two keypresses. http://static.niix.ga/v/15-10-18_23-25-37_482213456.mp4
Anyway, that's an awesome game! If only the controls made it possible to play it on Android, I would probably spend days on it.
Now that I think about it... It could be awkward on little screens but, with the slowmo mode, could actually be doable! Would you mind if I tried to port it to Android, without a debug console though?
(EDIT: forgot my specs)

System:    Host: manjaro Kernel: 4.3.0-1-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: i3 4.11-3-g2c4fd56
           Distro: ManjaroLinux 15.09 Bellatrix
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P55VA v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: P55VA.207 date: 01/16/2013
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium 2020M (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 1205 MHz 2: 1295 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 driver: intel Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.2
Another edit: if you can't find a good screencasting program on Windows (you can use ffmpeg there too, but I have no idea how heavy it is on Windows) I'd suggest installing Linux as secondary OS if you really need to record stuff.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Madrayken
Party member

Post by Madrayken »

Yipe! Thanks for the hints. Okay. That's some fairly heavy-duty linux-ey stuff going on there. Hmm. I need to have a think.

Regarding a port - sounds amazing.

BUT! I'm like an old punk guitarist. I'm not technically good, but I can get stuff *done*.

I need people who know Love/coding better than me to look at my crap, roll their eyes and then point out every damned stupid thing I'm doing with Love, and how it should be done better. I think that probably needs to happen before anyone makes a port,or else merging stuff in will be painful beyond the dreams of the average Cenobite.

From my end, the game needs:
- About 5 more spells
- A clarified endgame
- Better AI for some monsters (doing that this Monday coming)
- More monsters (including a couple of bosses)
- Finalising of the console 'secrets' mini-game stuff.

With this in mind, I need to find a way not to mess up anyone's port-code as I'm adding this stuff. The way I'm used to doing this in AAA is - frankly - joyless. Back in the days of DK we used to hand-merge files. It was horrible. In Fable we used a combo of sourcesafe and then p4 once we realised ss sucked. This was still horrible.

So - code-clean first, then port. Seem sensible? Anyhow - I don't want to spam up this forum any more than necessary, so people should feel to email me, pm me or whatever. Thanks, as ever for your valuable time.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Don't worry about spamming here too much; new information is good to have :3
Also, one tiny thing i'd ask for is either an in-game keybinding menu or (less work for 1 key rebind...) an external file to rebind the console key... frankly, my keyboard lacks both ` and ~ characters (more precisely, they map to alt-1 and alt-7), so i needed to add detection for "." as a temporary solution to play.
The other thing is, in the console, the buy and sell commands should accept a number after the name, like "buy S 2" which would be faster than "buy s enter buy s enter"...
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.