A Community-Culture Problem With Library Names

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
veethree
Inner party member

Re: A Community-Culture Problem With Library Names

Post by veethree »

kclanc wrote:In my opinion, the single biggest thing that could be done to alleviate this situation would be to remove all innuendo libraries from the "libraries" section of the wiki.
I strongly disagree. A lot of those libraries in question are very useful, And making them less accessible/harder to find for users won't benefit anyone.
kclanc
Citizen

Post by kclanc »

slime wrote:There are a couple libraries which have completely tactless and un-punny names (e.g. 'cock'). I don't like those.

Many of the other libraries people are referencing in this thread have names which actually make sense (albeit with multiple possible interpretations, usually).
Some are more 'borderline' than others and I prefer the more tasteful names usually (which does not exclude ones with clever puns), but there's no official endorsement for anything outside of LÖVE's actual API anyway.

Would you also like to rename [wiki]Joystick:setVibration[/wiki]? Or the future love.touch module?
Of course not. Because those clearly were not intentionally named as innuendos. But names like HUMP, SECS, and LUBE are clearly intentional innuendoes. There are other acronyms and names that could have been given to those libraries.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

kclanc wrote:But names like HUMP, SECS, and LUBE are clearly intentional innuendoes. There are other acronyms and names that could have been given to those libraries. Please don't be ridiculous.
Of course they're intentional. And who's to say love.touch isn't, even though it also makes sense as a name?

However, you have to try really hard to make HUMP sexual. "Hump" can have sexual connotations, but it only gets those connotations due to broader context usually - which is not added by the library in this case. In fact, the name has reminded me what the library actually does multiple times, i.e. "HUMP - helper utilities...", which is the sign of a good name I think.

As I was saying in my earlier post, there is a wide spectrum of library names. I think several people in this thread are grouping everything which can even remotely be associated with sexuality (even if interpreting it that way requires larger context which is just not there unless you add it yourself) together. Yes the names are largely intentional, but is that important?
kclanc
Citizen

Post by kclanc »

slime wrote:However, you have to try really hard to make HUMP sexual.
No, you really don't.

Suppose vrld had chosen to name the library HUWP. Helper Utilities for Wicked Productivity. Would that not be just as useful?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

kclanc wrote:Suppose vrld had chosen to name the library HUWP. Helper Utilities for Wicked Productivity. Would that not be just as useful?
Hump is already a word whereas HUWP isn't, so no that'd be less memorable. Memorization by association is pretty powerful, I think.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Not in the context of a project description like this: “Uses middleclass, ATL, hardoncollider, cock, hump, quickie…”

Source: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77107
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

ejmr wrote:
Not in the context of a project description like this: “Uses middleclass, ATL, hardoncollider, cock, hump, quickie…”

Source: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=77107
Exactly! thanks.
You have to put it in an already-sexual context ("cock", ...) to make it appear noticeably sexual in the context of game libraries.

Now, this particular sub-discussion is starting to clutter things up a bit, but I think it is important to realize that there are varying amounts of sexual (or other sorts of) implication within the library names which have been blanket-listed here.
Last edited by slime on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
kclanc
Citizen

Post by kclanc »

Point taken.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

slime wrote:Exactly! thanks. You have to put it in an already-sexual context ("cock", ...) to make it appear noticeably sexual in the context of game libraries.
Ultimately I disagree that ‘Hump’ must be put into an already-sexual context first. When I first saw it the sexual connotation was the first thing that came to my mind, but that is because I was already aware of the preference for such names in this community. To be very blunt and honest, I think it reflects poorly on the community that that’s the first place my mind jumped to.

Edit: I'm not mentioning this to usher in some Puritanical argument in favor of cleansing library names, only as an example that my mind assumed a sexual meaning given the name ‘Hump’ and my knowledge of the LÖVE community.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Grow up.

If you're unreasonably uncomfortable with innuendo, then maybe associating with humans isn't for you. People come here because it is an open, friendly community based around an awesome, simple game engine that doesn't take itself too seriously. If you feel so strongly that words should be banned, then feel free to continue writing C in some dark, secluded hole while people with a sense of humour continue to have fun and enjoy programming.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé