Manually rotating points around center

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Manually rotating points around center

Post by Jasoco »

Last night I came up with a better method for creating my 3d world, but failed when it came time to display it on screen. I was hitting a wall with the part that takes the 3d points and changes them to 2d points with perspective but makes sure to sort them by depth and then make sure they get drawn in order. As well as a camera system. Failure all around. But the code was a bit cleaner than my old 3d engine.

I could probably use it for a fixed camera 3d game, but not for one that needs to move the camera all the time.

I guess an alternative would be to do what I did last time and when the camera turns, actually move every single vector in 3d space.

Of course 3d is very taxing on a 2d system. Even if it's based on a 3d system. If only because of the sheer amount of math calculations and loops that have to be performed every frame. I know I speak for many people when I say this but I'd love to have some actual simple 3d features in löve. Forget that it's "Love 2D".

Of course this topic was originally just for doing 2d rotation. The 3d part was an experiment that I got caught up in.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

Forgive me for being somewhat off topic, but I still do not understand why people keep trying to make LOVE into a 3D engine. It will NEVER be as fast as any other 3D engine out there.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Ensayia wrote:Forgive me for being somewhat off topic, but I still do not understand why people keep trying to make LOVE into a 3D engine. It will NEVER be as fast as any other 3D engine out there.
I don't think they are, most of the time. I think it's just another challenge.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:
Ensayia wrote:Forgive me for being somewhat off topic, but I still do not understand why people keep trying to make LOVE into a 3D engine. It will NEVER be as fast as any other 3D engine out there.
I see it more as a "Hey, we have this Super NES. But you know what would be cool? A 3d game." So they create Star Fox. Just because the console is meant for 2D doesn't mean you shouldn't try to experiment with 3D. A lot of indie games out there even 2D ones use some 3D in some form. For instance, the code I created last night could be used to create some 3D effects on a 2D game with the right rearranging and coding. But it wouldn't be meant for a full fledged 3D game like Quake or Star Fox at this state and probably won't be. Löve is perfectly capable of handling 3D calculations required for quite a few points and triangles at once. I loaded 60 cubes with 12 triangles/8 vertex's each and didn't even go below 60FPS until I tried 70. Which would be more than enough 3D points for a simple old-style early 3D game homage. Even Star Fox would be possible as I had shown before. Star Fox actually cut corners by making the draw distance really close. But Löve would be able to have a much further draw distance if I, or someone were to create it.

Just because it isn't meant to be done doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

StarFox for the SNES was also a complete hack, requiring extra on the cartridge chips to make rendering even that tiny amount of polygons possible. What most people who play on emulators don't remember is that the gameplay was actually quite sluggish due to the SNES being strained so hard.

Yeah 3D on the SNES was kinda neat, and when I see the results of a 3D module get used for more than show and tell perhaps I will get a little more excited about it. Everyone is doing it but no one is making any practical application...
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Robin wrote:
I do remember some "3D" games on my old ZX Spectrum. Love2d of today is way more powerful, so while it will never match newest 3D games, surely it could run some fun "3D" games (where "3D" means "looks like 3D but uses at most 2D acceleration"). So, if anybody would make a "3D" game in Love2d for fun, I would enjoy checking it out, even if I don't expect it to be as advanced and powerful as real 3D games.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Ensayia wrote:StarFox for the SNES was also a complete hack, requiring extra on the cartridge chips to make rendering even that tiny amount of polygons possible. What most people who play on emulators don't remember is that the gameplay was actually quite sluggish due to the SNES being strained so hard.

Yeah 3D on the SNES was kinda neat, and when I see the results of a 3D module get used for more than show and tell perhaps I will get a little more excited about it. Everyone is doing it but no one is making any practical application...
Well obviously. Back then they had to supplement the video processor with a better one. Now-a-days everyone owns computers of trillions of calculations per second so that part's moot. The SNES was designed for 2D. Someone said "Let's do 3D". Hell, a couple companies even crammed 3D games onto Genesis carts. (Virtua Racing and Hard Drivin') And those were slow, but they were there. Star Fox was probably the only really playable one that came out of the 16-bit era though.