Rocket Mouse v0.0.6

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Xcmd
Party member

Rocket Mouse v0.0.6

Post by Xcmd »

So I've got this game, Rocket Mouse. The gameplay mechanism is pretty simple: you blast off a "rocket" (just a rectangle right now) by clicking the left and right mouse buttons (or left and right arrow keys) to guide the rocket up. Both directions will make it move to the left or right. You've got a limited amount of fuel (although I've yet to run out of fuel), and you've got a score that's constantly subtracting. The final score is determined by adding the remaining fuel of both rockets to the final score. So far the best I've gotten is -270. I'd consider a 0 to be a flawless score.

License: This game is Public Domain! :D

Release History

v0.0.6
-- Added asteroids! 16 of them.
-- Removed gravity: Asteroids behaved very erratically otherwise. Or just sank to the bottom of the screen.

v0.0.5
-- Added a booster (hit Middle Mouse Button or Up Arrow) for a few seconds.
-- Changed scoring to reflect remaining fuel. Best score so far 1112
-- Added a satellite that randomly places itself on the screen in a random size. Not much of an obstacle for now, but it's there.
-- Added a graphic for the ship.
-- Basic collision detection. Does little more than observe "The collided alright!"

v0.0.4
-- Added a Restart Key: R
-- Added a Quit Key: Escape
-- The game now starts paused. Click the mouse to start!
-- Added a graphic for the ship.

v0.0.3
-- Added game-over when you run out of fuel. Otherwise you're stuck.

v0.0.2
-- Added the game mechanics

v0.0.1
-- It flies!
Attachments
Rocket Mouse v0.0.6.love
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Last edited by Xcmd on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Sparx
Party member

Re: Rocket Mouse v0.0.3

Post by Sparx »

Sry I don't see the fun in the game nor any reference to reality in this version of the game.
I hope I'm wrong, so please provide us with some information where this game mechanics are going to, in the final version.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

-3400! :D

Needs a restart key..
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

qubodup: -3400? Is that even possible? XD You want a lower score, closer to or above 0... >.>

Sparx: It's still very much in it's rough stages.

There are several places I can see this game going:

1) Build-a-Rocket type game sort of like the many "launch over time" games, where each attempt unlocks more equipment you can add on to the rocket (kinda like Hedgehog Launch), which enables you to reach an ultimate goal (either completely leaving the planet's atmosphere, or landing on the moon).

2) Lander-type game - Just like Lunar Lander, your goal is to land in certain spots while avoiding terrain.

3) Collection Game - Where your goal is to use the fuel available to fly around the screen and try to gather as many of some kind of item as you can while avoiding obstacles.

4) Jetpack game - Where the rocket turns into a jetpack (not hard) and your goal is to do... jetpack things. With a jetpack.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Sparx
Party member

Re: Rocket Mouse v0.0.4

Post by Sparx »

hmm ok still don't think it's going to be fun more than 4 minutes.
Maybee the score if FPS dependant. I can make it down to -10000.

[EDIT]
By the way, why doesn't the rocket turn or anything I don't know much rockets paning through the air.
[/EDIT]
Last edited by Sparx on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Sparx wrote:hmm ok still don't think it's going to be fun more than 4 minutes.
Maybee the score if FPS dependant. I can make it down to -10000.
Hmm. I can't get under 500. It might be FPS dependent... I'll have to look into it. Right now the score is more or less arbitrary. If you don't find the game fun then that's alright. If you have any suggestions to improve game-play, I'm always open for input! :)
Sparx
Party member

Post by Sparx »

I just saw collapse field... You seem to be liking mini games. You should put several together into 1 single game, put a good story arround it why you have to do all these things, give it some funny animation design, a cool menu and your there.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Is it my pc or is it impossible to activate both thrusters at the same time, because that kind of makes it hard...
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

It's impossible to activate both thrusters at the same time. It's in the code. It's an if/elseif statement. If I put it in as two if statements, you'd just hold down left and right mouse buttons and off you'd go without any effort. :D

Right now this is more of a tech demo than anything else. I haven't got a fully-formed idea and I was more hoping people would give me some direction. Otherwise I'm going to probably abandon this here.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

This was fun, for a while. I hope you find inspiration to make a game from this tech demo ;). (Idea: what if you need to dodge all kinds of space junk to safely make it to the top? You know, abandoned satellites, stages from old rockets, that sort of junk.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.