Blög?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Larsii30
Party member

Re: Blög?

Post by Larsii30 »

I agree.
A blog with news around LÖVE and recent activitys in the community would be great.
There would be many possibilies to create content for such a blog ...

.. news
.. tutorials
.. project showcase
.. event info's ( Jam's / chat meetings .. )
.. "guest-posts" by devlopers
.. search's for team members
etc.

Only problem could be a lag of volunteers.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Would folks be interested if I developed and hosted a third party site dedicated for LÖVE content?

It seems like there's a genuine interest, and I would be interested in hooking up something like LÖVE. I could pick up a domain from namecheap.com, and hook it up to my VPS, and start a drupal / wordpress instance depending on how folks would like to use it.

The only issue I see is ensuring that quality content is submitted, and not just "Hey, here's mah gaem. linkz".

If this interests people, we should be talking about posting guidelines and folks who would be willing to administer this site. I would volunteer to help administer as I would be hosting the site, but if this is going to be a successful community project, we would have to have other folks administering content as well.

edit:
talked to bartbes, and he's suggesting that we start a close-knit circle of bloggers based on the following;
  1. Folks who are willing to write frequently
  2. Folks who are well-established on the forums or IRC
  3. Folks who are well versed in English.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Well, considering I started this post, I guess I should offer my service if you need help getting the ball rolling. :)

a) I would be willing to write somewhat frequently, though I am not so good at coming up with things to write about. Give me a topic and I'll do the research and writing. :)
b) I wouldn't say I am "well established", but there are a few people who probably recognize my name either on the forums (Karai17) or in IRC (YHWH).
c) I would like to claim that I am well versed in English, despite the amount of typos I make in IRC.

If you want my help, you know where and how to find me. :D
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Nikolai Resokav
Party member

Post by Nikolai Resokav »

A blog would be awesome! I think it would great to have both the devs and community members posting news about updates and love-related projects. I would definitely be willing to contribute to this.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

josefnpat wrote:talked to bartbes, and he's suggesting that we start a close-knit circle of bloggers based on the following;
Well, you have my axe.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
silver_hawk
Prole

Post by silver_hawk »

Robin wrote:
josefnpat wrote:talked to bartbes, and he's suggesting that we start a close-knit circle of bloggers based on the following;
Well, you have my axe.
And my sword, I just finished all my exams for now, so got loads of time atm. :D
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

silver_hawk wrote:
Robin wrote:
Well, you have my axe.
And my sword, I just finished all my exams for now, so got loads of time atm. :D
And my bow (LOTR).
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

I was just talking with someone else about the state of the LOVE community and it's relationship with the developers.

What's really sad is that none of the developers themselves seem to have any interest in keeping the community informed other than the occasional off-hand mention of a feature or upcoming plan in a topic here or there. Unless you are one of the few who frequent the IRC channel, you probably wouldn't even know that LOVE is still in development much less what's going on. We don't have a clear list of features, plans, a roadmap, or even a relative deadline of what to expect. Only one or two of the developers even post regularly here on the forum.

A blog letting us know what they have been up to and what they plan to do would be a huge step forward and a show of good will. Information in a personable, laymen terms and something other than scraping the wiki or flipping through the source commits and issue tracker would be fantastic. Not everyone is/was a professional software developer and likes or even wants to dig through all of that.

Basically, I'm asking that the developers pull back the curtain and let us know what's up. Come post on the forums more often and communicate with the forum where we are at and what we can do or what is possible as far as new features and ideas.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Well, that would be nice, but I simply don't have the time, nor the motivation to keep up with that, on the other hand, if/when this does get off the ground, it might not be bad to have a developer post every once in a while, or even just some writers talk to the devs, to see what they can learn and write about.

With regards to the forums, again, this comes down to time and motivation, this forum is a lot bigger than it used to be, and while I used to read every post, reply to most, play every game, I simply can't do that anymore, though I still try to at least scan every single post (and that is a timesink, I can tell you!), I generally only reply when I feel few people can correctly answer something in my place. (I guess that holds true for this reply, too.)

That said, especially in irc I'm still often available, and active, along with plenty of people with in-depth knowledge about the engine, if the blog turns out to be nothing more than a relay (and I hope it does become more!), this would still be beneficial to communication with everyone.

As for the project seeming inactive, this is not just because we, the developers, are busy, though that doesn't help, it is too because the further this project gets, the less there is to do, less bugs, less features to be implemented, etc. Also, keep in mind that 0.8.0 wasn't a fast release by any stretch of the imagination either, then again, I don't think there is any benefit to an engine releasing every other week, because this either means things are going to break often, or a lot of bloat is going to build up, in the form of backwards-compatibility, neither of which are beneficial to any party involved.

In other news, at this point it is almost certain 0.8.1 will be skipped, and we'll be moving towards releasing 0.9.0, somewhat soonish-ish-ish-ish. And, I am also proud to announce that slime, after repeated contributions, in source code, in time and in knowledge, has joined the development team.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

You can also click the Issue Tracker button at the top of the forums to see the latest discussion and resolution of bugs / bug fixes / new features.
If you click on Commits on the Bitbucket page, you can see directly what the developers are doing, although the commit log is not necessarily always completely sorted by date.
Last edited by slime on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.