Adventures of Barnabus! [T.A.O.T.R.T.W.G.E.]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Banoticus
Citizen

Re: THANKS SO MUCH!

Post by Banoticus »

coffee wrote:
Banoticus wrote:working as smoothly as ever. :awesome:
The menu is working smoothly but I can't say the same of that "flickering" moving cloud and other moving things. I'm getting only 21FPS thing what only happens in that heavy LOVE demanding technical demos. You should check for something wrong in your code.
The cloud was only an experiment. When i remove it, the FPS difference isn't that great. What is the FPS supposed to be for this sort of game?
coffee
Party member

Re: THANKS SO MUCH!

Post by coffee »

Banoticus wrote:
coffee wrote:
Banoticus wrote:working as smoothly as ever. :awesome:
The menu is working smoothly but I can't say the same of that "flickering" moving cloud and other moving things. I'm getting only 21FPS thing what only happens in that heavy LOVE demanding technical demos. You should check for something wrong in your code.
The cloud was only an experiment. When i remove it, the FPS difference isn't that great. What is the FPS supposed to be for this sort of game?
Not saying that it's cloud fault. But watching that cloud hurts my eyes. Usually I get in any LOVE game steady 60FPS. So if I'm getting only 21FPS something could be wrong. Bad draws, draw too much things or repeated things, repeated calls. Could be a lot of things. Review the code.
PS. And if you didn't noticed remove the untitled.txt (at least in distributed version).

EDITED: Even in ultrafast JIT version I'm only getting 38fps. That's not good.
Petunien
Party member

Re: T.A.O.T.R.T.W.G.E.

Post by Petunien »

I get 55-60 FPS on a 4 year old laptop.

Maybe is something wrong with your configuration or your pc?
"Docendo discimus" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Petunien wrote:I get 55-60 FPS on a 4 year old laptop.

Sorry but since it's a regular standard Mac that config problem things or bad driver updates don't happen. All LOVE things run fine concerning videocards. Well, I did my job warning. Because where is smoke there's fire.

I even checked LOVE game config file and noticed that vsync was false.
Proof of something wrong's is that hiding blocks draw all rises normally to 60fps with vsync true and 600/700fps with vsync turned off! So block draw routine it's eating a lot.
limited.png
limited.png
EDITED. Problem found (for free). Because draw all map (#map.width/#map.height) isn't always a good thing (80*32 = 2560px / 80*32 = 2560 px)

Quick Hack

Code: Select all

for y = 0, (love.graphics.getHeight()/map.tiles.height)+1 do
			for x = 0, (love.graphics.getWidth()/map.tiles.width)+1 do
instead of

for y = 0, map.height do
			for x = 0, map.width do
Remember this only works for fixed screen and was to demo whats wrong. Now you need to make some formula that follows player and prints in screen from most visible left side from screen to most right visible side.
Banoticus
Citizen

Post by Banoticus »

coffee wrote:
Petunien wrote:I get 55-60 FPS on a 4 year old laptop.

Sorry but since it's a regular standard Mac that config problem things or bad driver updates don't happen. All LOVE things run fine concerning videocards. Well, I did my job warning. Because where is smoke there's fire.

I even checked LOVE game config file and noticed that vsync was false.
Proof of something wrong's is that hiding blocks draw all rises normally to 60fps with vsync true and 600/700fps with vsync turned off! So block draw routine it's eating a lot.
limited.png
limited.png
EDITED. Problem found (for free). Because draw all map (#map.width/#map.height) isn't always a good thing (80*32 = 2560px / 80*32 = 2560 px)

Quick Hack

for y = 0, (love.graphics.getHeight()/map.tiles.height)+1 do
			for x = 0, (love.graphics.getWidth()/map.tiles.width)+1 do
instead of

for y = 0, map.height do
			for x = 0, map.width do
Remember this only works for fixed screen and was to demo whats wrong. Now you need to make some formula that follows player and prints in screen from most visible left side from screen to most right visible side.
Thank you. I'll try to figure out that formula.
P.S. What in the world is wrong with your grab - the program to take screenshots on your mac - i can see other programs around the edges.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Fixed the rendering of the whole world. Now it renders only the parts that you see, and that means- UNLIMITED WORLDS. :awesome:
*Now to think of a way to procedurely generate worlds (like in Minecraft)*

P.S. Updated original post.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Banoticus
Citizen

Re: T.A.O.T.R.T.W.G.E.-intro

Post by Banoticus »

I start up the game. It shows me the intro with the weird spinning circle. At the bottom of the screen i see the words 'press any key to continue'.
NO!
I would like to know if there is a way to make an actual intro. Is there a way i can get the program to count for a few seconds and then start the game. If so - thank goodness - and how?
Petunien
Party member

Post by Petunien »

I'm sure you will make a main menu with other submenus like Options, Load Game, etc.
Therefore you'll need to implement gamestates.

So, let's say, your intro is a slideshow of 5 seconds.

While a global variable (gameState) == "intro", do nothing about the game.
And then, if the gameState == "play", start the game.

Something like that could be the solution. :)
"Docendo discimus" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Banoticus
Citizen

Post by Banoticus »

I added the intro feature to the crawler of dungeons and am about to do to TAOTRTWGE.
juno
Citizen

Post by juno »

This is awesome! got pretty freaked out when i locked myself inside a load of blocks...Then i realized right click removes them
wat ya mean she's in another castle!?