Version compatibility issue in Linux

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
freaxtux
Prole

Version compatibility issue in Linux

Post by freaxtux »

I'm not a programmer nor native English user, so there might be some awkward expressions. I apologize for them if there's any.

After installing LOVE 0.8.0 for Mari0, I can't play Not Tetris 2.

To explain what happened as far as I understand;
In Windows, you can distribute a game with some dll files so it isn't important whether your game is based on 0.7.2 or 0.8.0.
However, In Linux, you can't use 0.7.2 and 0.8.0 at the same time because libraries are installed system-wide.

Am I right? If not, is there any way to run 0.7.2 game under 0.8.0 environment without re-installing LOVE or modifying the game?

P.S. I tried to make the game work deleting ".lua" from require function, but another error occured and I quit because it's out of my capability. (Number of vertices must be a multiple of two)
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Version compatibility issue in Linux

Post by nevon »

There are a couple of ways to solve that problem. One is to do pretty much the same as in Windows, and distribute the thing as a frozen binary (concatenate the LÖVE binary and the .love archive), and only set LÖVE's dependencies as your package's dependencies.

Another, if you're distributing your game via a repository, is to offer your own version of LÖVE along with the game. You could just copy the LÖVE package and rename it into "loveformygame" or whatever, and put that as a dependency. That way there'll be no collision.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I'm pretty sure I have heard about people having both versions of LÖVE installed on their machines, but I don't know really how they did it. Guys?
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

kikito wrote:I'm pretty sure I have heard about people having both versions of LÖVE installed on their machines, but I don't know really how they did it. Guys?
I simply have both the packages love-stable and love-unstable from bartbes' PPA installed.
Help us help you: attach a .love.