Herbie & Jamal

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ivan
Party member

Re: Herbie & Jamal

Post by ivan »

Hey, just wanna say that I love the artstyle and the character designs.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

It's got some personality. I like that.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Neat. Horizontal doors are indeed very hard to get through. (At first I thought the blue guy couldn't go through any door at all, it was that hard!)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Changes 20/01/12
  • Gave Herbie ability to roll by pressing the action button when no other action is available.
    86hQK.gif
    86hQK.gif (1.3 MiB) Viewed 501 times
    Bad idea? Should each player have a second button?
    Also, there's only a rolling animation for the naked skin right now.
  • Added gradient to horizontal doors for easier alignment
    GNrVb.png
    GNrVb.png (567 Bytes) Viewed 501 times
  • Adjusts zoom level upon loading level in case the game runs in a huge resolution
  • Containers now contains a function rather than a string.
    The "open" argument tells whether the container was opened or closed.
    If the function returns true it will be called again. Otherwise the function will be removed from the container. Example:

Code: Select all

local function toiletfunc(open)
    		if open == true then addMessage("You opened the toilet!") return true
    		else addMessage("You closed the toilet!") end
    	end
    	add("toilet", 1, 1, toiletfunc)
    This way a message will only appear when the toilet is opened and then closed, then never again.
  • If a string is given as the first argument it will load that level instead of the apartment. Example:

Code: Select all

love rob.love test
    will load test.png and test.lua
  • Pressing action at the telephone will load the level "test" for those who might want to play around with it.
An updated .love is added to OP.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

I think the gradient needs to be more obvious. I had to lean in close to my screen to be able to see it when it was overlaid on that dark brown.

As for adding more buttons, since you have support for two players on one keyboard, I think limiting the number of used keys is better, since both players are using a limited space (not just the keyboard but the orientation of their bodies around a single keyboard).
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

- I didn't found a way to return from mission after open the safe. We land at the middle of room. No exit door? No matrix-phone back?
- Instead of phone would seem more logic/intuitive use the big door to go to mission. And it will be a shame if you don't use the shower as some secret passage to something.
- Opposition is null. Be detected don't appear to be a big issue. Robots continue with same route so we continue well our mission without any increased trouble to the duo. Could activate a timer to police arrive and arrest us.
- Instead of have dual control for each char why don't have an option to a switch key char?
- I think it's great finally they got a better room. ;)
- About the doors it's a bit better (but still far of be totally easy).
- Roll action could be useful if I didn't mind get detected.
- What does M button?
- Camera don't scroll well to the playing char if the other member is in opposite side of screen. I need to move the other char a bit till the camera focus the playing char.
- In the demo mission seems there isn't really no need to go press the floor button unless you put a motive to both get there. An exit? Tried to activate both when near tv but didn't returned home as I expected.
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

this looks awesome, animation and stuffs seems solid.

Good work!
@rynesaur
NÖÖB
Prole

Post by NÖÖB »

Looks great! I've played something similar on Sega Genesis.. what was it called..? [edit] Bonanza Bros :)
scirath
Citizen

Post by scirath »

SimonLarsen wrote:Also, there's only a rolling animation for the naked skin right now.
Heh. Missed that on my first read-through. I was about to ask why he disappeared when he tried to roll with some clothes on.
SimonLarsen wrote:Bad idea? Should each player have a second button?
It didn't seem to hurt anything, but that could change depending on how your game progresses. (Meaning mostly, how tangled do the players' fingers get?)

Is it just for a touch of extra character, or will it play a role in various parts of the game itself? Just curious. :-)
(USER MIGHT BE BANNED FOR THIS POST.)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

SimonLarsen wrote:
  • Gave Herbie ability to roll by pressing the action button when no other action is available.
    Bad idea? Should each player have a second button?
Well.. The problem is mostly, what happens when you want to roll in front of say a door?