Flight 2942 - BaconGameJam 01

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: Flight 2942 - BaconGameJam 01

Post by josefnpat »

Thank you bartbes for helping me further understand threads.Newest .love in github has this fixed.
T-Bone wrote:Extremely unresponsive.
You are using one of my public servers on bluehost, so it will be very laggy.
I can help you set up a server, but it's rather involved (runs off a lamp stack).
It runs very smoothly on localhost.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Robin wrote:
Larsii30 wrote:can't download github link seems wrong or is to complicated for me . :)
You want the "raw" .love.
Also instead of browse among the source code Larsii30 you can also get the zip in the downloads tab and run the already "built" love file that is distributed also in that package. I think it's easier that way but if Josefnpat posts the love file in the start of this thread would be easier and quicker to invite people test it.

Josefnpat, good and bad news. It worked at least the server connection part but like T-Bone said well it's unplayable in ship maneuver and I was even playing alone there. Enemy/bullet collision detection is very bad I'm afraid :(

Anyway don't give up. For sure you know you need a lot of work to synchronize well the client and the server. Do this kind of real-time project with love is innovative, congratulations to the team.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

The solution to that kind of lag is client-side prediction. There are lots of resources about that topic on the 'nets, here's one: http://altdevblogaday.com/2011/07/26/pl ... nt-part-1/
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

coffee wrote:
Robin wrote:
Larsii30 wrote:can't download github link seems wrong or is to complicated for me . :)
You want the "raw" .love.
Also instead of browse among the source code Larsii30 you can also get the zip in the downloads tab and run the already "built" love file that is distributed also in that package. I think it's easier that way but if Josefnpat posts the love file in the start of this thread would be easier and quicker to invite people test it.

Josefnpat, good and bad news. It worked at least the server connection part but like T-Bone said well it's unplayable in ship maneuver and I was even playing alone there. Enemy/bullet collision detection is very bad I'm afraid :(

Anyway don't give up. For sure you know you need a lot of work to synchronize well the client and the server. Do this kind of real-time project with love is innovative, congratulations to the team.
Yes, the bluehost server is pretty horrid. I've tried it on faster servers and localhost, and it seems to clean up.

Thanks for the support! I've learned quite a bit over the 12 hours I took to make the game.

slime wrote:The solution to that kind of lag is client-side prediction. There are lots of resources about that topic on the 'nets, here's one: http://altdevblogaday.com/2011/07/26/pl ... nt-part-1/
This sums it up for the enemy/bullet/player collision problems. I know they are there, and I would have cleaned them up better, but I was running out of time, and did a super cheesy collision system based on updates. instead of projected intersections.Thanks for the link!

Now, go get this running on a local area network!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push