TextMate bundle, auto-complete and tooltips.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: TextMate bundle, auto-complete and tooltips.

Post by Jasoco »

arquivista wrote:Sorry for desapointing you, as I never really needed or used that feature in LOVE editing I never notice that bug (I think should be an incomplete lua support since it works with html/css and other coding). Matter of fact I think that feature is a bit too hidden to be used here. At least should have a proper space like this proposoal in Fraise website.
Actually, that would be perfect! The sidebar is so underused for me anyway, so putting all the functions in there too would make me switch in an instant. I hope they put it in. It really is a nice editor, and it smells like Strawberries. ;)

I actually contacted BareBones about doing the same thing in TextWrangler and adding tabs like every other app out there and getting rid of the outdated drawer in lieu of the new style sidebar but they said they had no plans to do any of it at this time. Bah. I've used TW for years, but would switch to Strawberry.. er Fraise in a second if it had that one feature. I tried other editors, including TextMate, and none seem to do the job like Wrangler. Except Fraise, which just needs that one feature.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

The thing with Fraise is that the dev is now stopped. Why? I seems the developer found that old Smultron code is limiting more than helping him to add new stuff. So probably Fraise will reborn with a new engine and probably a lot new features. In the site is told that he will give news. Fraise is really good, I hope to don't lose that, but let's wait for good news.

Yah, I don't know if BareBones want really to do anything new in TW since is only an app calling to the paid major BB products. Don't expect much from them.

Can't you handle LUA scripted defs in Fraise to see if you can't fix the broken function?

EDITED: found LUA syntax file (lua.plist) in Fraise. Nothing stop us of add LOVE instructions there. Also with some time and eye comparing we probably can check what tags activate the "function" feature.

EDITED2: in lua.plist there is

Code: Select all

<key>functionDefinition</key>
	<string></string>
and php.plist

Code: Select all

<key>functionDefinition</key>
	<string>^\s*(static)?\s*(private|protected|public)?\s*(static)?\s*function\s+.*\n?\s*\{</string>
That's explained why Function list isnt applicable in Fraise!

EDITED3: Discovered that in Fraise can be added a button of quick acess functions in menu bar! ;D
button.png
button.png (22.36 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
functions.png
functions.png (137.68 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I hope he keeps going. Now that I can have functions, I might actually switch!

Anyway, here's a review of Fraise versus TextWrangler based on an hour of using it...

Let's see. A few quirks that I can tolerate and don't break the deal:

When editing and saving somewhere else, it takes a few seconds for Fraise to realize. Then it asks if you want to reload the document. TextWrangler reloads immediately before you even switch to the app and doesn't ask. No option to turn it on.

Fraise doesn't have a way to click and drag in the gutter to select text. TextWrangler has it as an option that of course I turn on. I need this.

Fraise doesn't colorize everything that TextWrangler does. In TW, numbers (values) are colored as are certain function names that belong to the language. But this is no big deal as I rarely notice this anyway.

In TW when I save, it will remove all extra spaces from the ends of lines. This is so convenient. Fraise doesn't do this, and doesn't have an option. It has a menu option called "Remove needless spaces" but in LUA files it's disabled. What the hell is that? Can it be enabled and does it do what I want it to?

The "Shift Right" and "Shift Left" (Add tab spaces or remove them) commands in Fraise are Command+K and Command+L instead of the logical Command+[ and Command+]. This will take getting used to unless I can change it.

I also can't Entab or Detab in LUA files? What the hell?

Also notice the lack of a "Compare" feature. TextWrangler has it. Really convenient sometimes.

Other observations:

I had to turn off the options to add closing parenthesis and brackets because it mad inserting them into already typed lines frustrating. It makes sense if you're typing the coded line for the first time and there's nothing after it's on that line, but if I'm editing a line that's already complete, it should not insert that because who knows if I'm trying to surround something I already typed?

Your Function modification doesn't include those special functions like anonymous ones and others that are part of tables. Note in the right side of the screenshot below the Anonymous function under Sort.

Auto-complete is nice. But sometimes capitalizes stuff it shouldn't. And doesn't go away as gracefully as it should if I decide not to use it.

Fraise has an "Insert Color" feature, but it only inserts as rgb(##,##,##). Would be AMAZING if it could do Lua or Löve type color insertions. Or just the numbers in parenthesis without the rgb part.

The function list in Fraise shows the whole thing with the variables and the line number they're on. TextWrangler just shows the function name.

Fraise has a nice new-world style sidebar on the left with the documents. TextWrangler has an old-world outmoded drawer concept that takes up too much room and wastes too much space.

The document list in Fraise can be sorted. The one in TW is always in alphabetical order.

Fraise has a real toolbar. TW has a custom one that I don't even show. I do like having the one in Fraise showing. Much smaller and compact.

With the font options the same on both editors, Fraise shows more text on screen at once (2 extra lines), doesn't cut off half-lines from view and scrolls per pixel instead of per line. Now, the per line part is nice in TW, but nothing special. The rest is just melted chocolate on Fraise. (See what I did there?)

Again, with both editor windows opened to the same width and height overall, Fraise shows much more, has much more room to see the document and less for the UI. Very nice. The screenshot below shows the difference in space usage. TextWrangler even shows a horizontal scrollbar when I have wrapping turned on. It's not even needed! So why is it there?

Fraise has a "Full Screen" option, but it's really weird. Instead of simply making the app take the full screen with the toolbar and sidebar and status bar and all, it only gives you the document and makes it not take the full width of the screen. With Lion coming, would be nice if it acted like it should, and maybe gave us the option to show two documents at once.

There's a "Split Window" option but it was hidden instead of having a visible button on the scroll bar.

It has some bugs. Weird bugs. Strange bugs.

Fraise seems more simple compared to TW. TW has an options dialog with stuff I would never even use all out the wazoo. Fraise is simpler, but does lack some stuff I'd like to see implemented as mentioned above.

I want to like Fraise. I just hope I don't find anything deal-breaking that can't be fixed easily.
Screen shot 2010-11-23 at 2.59.44 PM.jpg
Above you can see how much space is being wasted in TextWrangler. Even with Fraise's taller status bar, TW's extra useless scrollbar negates any saved space. Even the functions list is smaller vertically. And the Gutter can be resized in Fraise which is one thing I hated about TW. If I could put the functions in the sidebar too, I could remove the toolbar all together.

Also, "Power of the Meat" is an amazing remix.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

You made a nice review that I will read again, test and response better later.

First just a consideration. I think that you comparing two kind of editors that aren't really in same classes. Fraise philosophy and approach seems to be more a light all-round. editor A kind that TW be a dedicated hard-core PC coder and Fraise trying to reach a kind of non-stress, simple, non-complicated, light use. Would be more fair compare TW with Textmate or other heavy-height. But anyway just to say this for now this...
Fraise doesn't colorize everything that TextWrangler does. In TW, numbers (values) are colored as are certain function names that belong to the language. But this is no big deal as I rarely notice this anyway.
Remember that is not really Fraise fault but bad LUA syntax PLIST implementation. Other languages or HTML have much more nuances. Lua syntax one unfortunly was some quick job that someone did.
The "Shift Right" and "Shift Left" (Add tab spaces or remove them) commands in Fraise are Command+K and Command+L instead of the logical Command+[ and Command+]. This will take getting used to unless I can change it.
One of the weird thing in fraise is that neither have a menu for editing keys neither as I could found a def file to keep keys. Maybe this could be one of things that the maintainer want to drop Smultron code.
I also can't Entab or Detab in LUA files? What the hell?
Well that works for me. You need to select text first.
Also notice the lack of a "Compare" feature. TextWrangler has it. Really convenient sometimes.
Very hard-core thing. In windows I used a specific program since very few editors do this. You can here try to split and compare by eye. ;)
Your Function modification doesn't include those special functions like anonymous ones and others that are part of tables. Note in the right side of the screenshot below the Anonymous function under Sort.
Like I said in the other thread I did only a quick work on that without study the parameters. BTW can you post that "anonymous" function not listed for I try to find the pattern.
Auto-complete is nice. But sometimes capitalizes stuff it shouldn't. And doesn't go away as gracefully as it should if I decide not to use it.
Stange thing I really prefer that turned off. When writing normal text is a bit annoying. Oh, and that's a big point that Fraise is much better than TW (spelling, grammar, substitutions). I that why I use it for text substitute and quick all-round editor (do some fast or alter html/css for example).
Fraise has an "Insert Color" feature, but it only inserts as rgb(##,##,##). Would be AMAZING if it could do Lua or Löve type color insertions. Or just the numbers in parenthesis without the rgb part.
I really never found an Mac Editor with really a good way of deal colors. And that Mac color palletes that a lot of mac editors use, argh. Maybe exploring package contents can be found another insert way.
The function list in Fraise shows the whole thing with the variables and the line number they're on. TextWrangler just shows the function name.
Not sure yet if syntax (I believe not) can add or remove more function info. However show the line seem a nice add.
Fraise has a nice new-world style sidebar on the left with the documents. TextWrangler has an old-world outmoded drawer concept that takes up too much room and wastes too much space.

TW have in some aspects a horrible UI and bad organization. And that floating buttons windows are... "no words", so heavy-coder style argh...
The document list in Fraise can be sorted. The one in TW is always in alphabetical order.
That for me isnt the worse. I'd love to see the feature of drag and add folders in document list. A lot should be made there comparing other editors.
Fraise has a real toolbar. TW has a custom one that I don't even show. I do like having the one in Fraise showing. Much smaller and compact.
yes, a true Cocoa style toolbar. Like I said above trying to reach the "mac" way.
The rest is just melted chocolate on Fraise. (See what I did there?)
Yah nice colors (I use vibrantink in some other editors), but in both lack a quick theme loader/saver.
Fraise has a "Full Screen" option, but it's really weird.
LOL, never used that till I checked now. Not my editing style. However I acknoledge that OSX dock takes some useful space.
There's a "Split Window" option but it was hidden instead of having a visible button on the scroll bar.

It has some bugs. Weird bugs. Strange bugs.
It can do some comparing or its nice for some copying.
Fraise seems more simple compared to TW. TW has an options dialog with stuff I would never even use all out the wazoo. Fraise is simpler, but does lack some stuff I'd like to see implemented as mentioned above.

Just as I said not same spirit, not same class.
I want to like Fraise. I just hope I don't find anything deal-breaking that can't be fixed easily.
I think Fraise is not really for you. Just like when I need do serious web stuff don't do it in Fraise. However for a lot of casual things I don't hesitate call Fraise.
To Do: Insert Signature Here
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The thing I like most about Fraise is its UI. And that for me wins over all. Also, TextWrangler IS the "lightweight" editor. It's a lighter version of BBEdit. But TW wastes so much space on screen and uses paradigms that haven't been needed since 2004.

I don't think I will EVER find an editor that does EVERYTHING the way I want it to. I just have to use the one that I can tolerate the most.

I like simple. And I don't need 90% of the features TW has. I'm just saying theres a couple small features that I wouldn't mind having. But as I said, it all comes down to the UI.

The perfect fullscreen mode would be one that takes everything below the title bar and maximizes that to the full screen size with a hidden menubar that only appears when the mouse reaches the top.

But then I forget that it would also hide the Terminal, which is what I use to run my game, so I end up not using it anyway. I need to work on an Automator/AppleScript that I can attach to a hot key that would bring the Terminal to the front and paste the command to launch the .love file in love.app. Then it'd be perfect. (Me likes hot keys and trackpad gestures.)
genericdave
Citizen

Post by genericdave »

1. This is awesome.
2. A word of warning to other users: if the path to your project folder has spaces, running and building straight from TextMate will probably have problems.
3. Shouldn't this be linked to on the wiki?
4. Man, I haven't posted here in a loooooooong time.
kabadesu
Prole

Post by kabadesu »

I was about to report a bug with method completion, but then figured out how to fix it.

I was getting this error:

/tmp/temp_textmate.RnBd5E:88:in `open': can't convert nil into String (TypeError)
from /tmp/temp_textmate.RnBd5E:88:in `foreach'
from /tmp/temp_textmate.RnBd5E:88:in `check_files'
from /tmp/temp_textmate.RnBd5E:105

but, after I saved my new document (main.lua), it works fine. :awesome:

I decided to post this incase somebody else stumbles across it.