[Question] Commerical Development?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Lexsym
Prole

[Question] Commerical Development?

Post by Lexsym »

Hi there, I was just curious to know if anyone here knew how I would go about doing Commercial Development with the LOVE2D engine? Say I had my game created with the LOVE2D engine and it could be easily distributed into a .love file or compiled into a .exe using the "copy /b" command in command prompt.
Could it be as easily done as using an obfuscator to obfuscate the the compiled .exe file and contacting companies such as steam for distribution?

If you could let me know, that would be great. Thanks!
miko
Party member

Re: [Question] Commerical Development?

Post by miko »

Lexsym wrote:Hi there, I was just curious to know if anyone here knew how I would go about doing Commercial Development with the LOVE2D engine? Say I had my game created with the LOVE2D engine and it could be easily distributed into a .love file or compiled into a .exe using the "copy /b" command in command prompt.
Could it be as easily done as using an obfuscator to obfuscate the the compiled .exe file and contacting companies such as steam for distribution?

Check out this thread:
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2740
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
Rad3k
Citizen

Post by Rad3k »

Lexsym wrote:Could it be as easily done as using an obfuscator to obfuscate the the compiled .exe file and contacting companies such as steam for distribution?

What do you mean by obfuscating the compiled exe? If you want to make it harder for random people to get to the sources of your game, you can obfuscate and precompile the .lua files before packing them into .love.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Rad3k wrote:you can obfuscate and precompile the .lua files before packing them into .love.
This again?

Please, people, don't put bytecode in your .loves. You are hurting your demographics. Lua bytecode is not guaranteed to be cross-platform or whatever.

We should keep a database of links to previous popular discussions or something to prevent endless rehashing. "I want to obfuscate my sourcez", "how is babby formed?", things like that.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Rad3k
Citizen

Post by Rad3k »

Robin wrote:
Rad3k wrote:you can obfuscate and precompile the .lua files before packing them into .love.
This again?

Please, people, don't put bytecode in your .loves. You are hurting your demographics. Lua bytecode is not guaranteed to be cross-platform or whatever.
OP mentioned joining .love with executable, so it seemed reasonable to assume that portability isn't a concern.