Love2D should look into its android capabilities

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Love2D should look into its android capabilities

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

I mean, I came to the forums today and from there just learnt Balatro is made with Love2D :rofl: .

(Too bad it doesn't seem like Love2D community Devs really care that an actual pretty famous game is made with Love2D, but that's besides the point)

Now I also just learnt that Balatro devs are having a hard time porting to android, I don't really know why as I've never reaallly tried it and always assumed it to be straight forward but apparently others also confirm that it's a problem (Reddit thread). So ... like, I don't know. Doesn't it stain love2D's reputation :P :rofl: But for real, I feel like the actual reason Android stuff isn't looked after too well is because mostly non-mainstream games have been made, and I'm sure the Balatro dev(s) will probably find a work around but still, for the future.

Also the fact that LuaJit still hasn't been fixed for Android and still causes Android projects to practically freeze, and without jit projects just a liiiiittle bit ambitious on android run kinda slow. :(

Could we just ... try to fix these problems, especially the jit?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Love2D should look into its android capabilities

Post by pgimeno »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:43 am Could we just ... try to fix these problems, especially the jit?
No, we couldn't. Different projects, different devs.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Love2D should look into its android capabilities

Post by slime »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:43 am (Too bad it doesn't seem like Love2D community Devs really care that an actual pretty famous game is made with Love2D, but that's besides the point)
Balatro's great. It's also not nearly the first famous game made with LÖVE. :)

If you're talking about the homepage, we just don't have active people who want to do the work to continuously update that.
Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:43 am Now I also just learnt that Balatro devs are having a hard time porting to android, I don't really know why as I've never reaallly tried it and always assumed it to be straight forward but apparently others also confirm that it's a problem (Reddit thread)
Instead of random reddit threads, if they have actual problems they can always talk to us directly – as they have in the past for a Windows performance bug that was our fault which we fixed once we were aware.

That being said, most of what I've seen are modders who aren't familiar with LÖVE trying to port the game to a platform with wildly different control schemes and constraints than PC/console. Rather than the actual developers running into problems. Not that the latter doesn't happen. Just keep in mind not all development discussion about the game is written by its developers.
Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:43 am Also the fact that LuaJit still hasn't been fixed for Android and still causes Android projects to practically freeze, and without jit projects just a liiiiittle bit ambitious on android run kinda slow. :(

Could we just ... try to fix these problems, especially the jit?
I have no idea what you mean by freezing issues, that's the first I've heard of it. If you have a project that freezes, please post a bug report in our bug tracker – ideally with the project or steps to reproduce it.

As for the issue preventing JIT compilation (which is not freeze-related, and is also not super relevant for Balatro because the game already runs well on platforms with phone-equivalent hardware where JIT compilation is disallowed entirely by the platform holder), see https://github.com/LuaJIT/LuaJIT/issues/285 for a discussion of the issue and potential fixes. Feel free to contribute there!