Zerobrane. and love

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Zerosum
Prole

Zerobrane. and love

Post by Zerosum »

So i'm an inspiring game dev... kinda? and i was wondering how do i like... um, export my project? i was watching a video on how to make a "game" with a white dot that you can control got that part down. and i have the main.lua, and the folder it's in. however... i can't open the "game" unless i run in it zerobranestudio. and when i watch other people specifically this [guy](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CXwkw- ... el=AtiByte) he has: love.game. and love.config files... and i have none of those. and the instructions here on how to do it is not beginner friendly, because i am basically code and pc illiterate . so if someone can tell me what i need to do! that would be great!
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: Zerobrane. and love

Post by BrotSagtMist »

So i'm an inspiring game dev
i am basically code and pc illiterate
My boy this is concerning.

I think the best way for you is: Go into the folder, mark everything, zip it.
Then you do a right click on the zip and select open with > löve.
obey
Bobble68
Party member

Post by Bobble68 »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:25 pm I think the best way for you is: Go into the folder, mark everything, zip it.
Then you do a right click on the zip and select open with > löve.
This is the way to do it, though there are ways to make it into an .exe or similar files, which won't require Love2D to run - however, it's a different process for exporting it for Windows/Mac/Linux, and it's not as easy, so it's best using .love files until you feel more comfortable with coding.
Dragon
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Aspiring game dev you might be, but you're not inspiring me too much... :3

As for conf.lua, you don't necessarily need to have that.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
RNavega
Party member

Post by RNavega »

If you haven't already seen this, there's a sticky thread about packing your game into a .love:
viewtopic.php?t=451

I don't know if they're still updated, but there's some distribution tools in here, they're meant to automate the boring parts:
https://github.com/love2d-community/awe ... stribution